We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how early do I need to get to CLT airport

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Council Bluffs
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
how early do I need to get to CLT airport

Hi

I am staying at the Renaissance Hotel in Southpark and have a 6:19AM flight on a Friday. A shuttle company leaves the hotel every morning at 5AM to the airport for $15 and says it takes 15 min to get there. I am flying on a United flight, but it was booked codeshare with US Airways (i just have a US airways flight #). If I opt to take the 5AM shuttle, will I have enough time? I am checking a bag. Otherwise, the same shuttle company will charge me $40 plus grat to come earlier (at a set time). Also, if the flight is booked with US airways, but is actually a united flight, does anyone know if I can check in at the United Counter?

thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how early do I need to get to CLT airport

I have limited experience with early morning flights out of Charlotte; only 4 in the past 2+ years,each time checking bags(all flights were weekdays, don't remember if any were a Friday however) all during summer months, but the experiences have been greatly different. I think 2 were US Air and two were United. Once we got there 1 1/2 hours before our domestic flight and the lines were out the door; it took us every bit of time we had before our flight..it seemed like every high school kid or group and college kid in the area were headed out that day! very stressful.

Another time, we got there 2 hours ahead (international flight) and we were through everything including security within 20 minutes.... ? So it's hard to tell. We have a 6:15 am domestic flight (Delta) coming up in 2 weeks, and based on my varying experiences I'm planning to be there around 4:30am.

Hopefully someone who flies more can give you more definitive advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how early do I need to get to CLT airport

As the previous post indicated it can be a question of pot luck. Sometimes the security lines are very long - other times it takes forever. The question is - are you prepared to risk missing your flight? On the plus side Charlotte airport is one of the better ones in the US to chill if you have to - the rocking chairs are fun.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how early do I need to get to CLT airport

It's a shame you have to check your bag; then I would say perfectly OK. I would do the following: Print yr boarding pass, try the curbside checking in (if OK for United co-share)--- still I hope the shuttle does not stop anywhere else to pick up others, I assume it does not - likely to be a hotel's own shuttle....

Also, at the airport there are 3 ways to get in through the security; pick the shortest line... If you decide to take the 5am shuttle...

Friday morning can get pretty busy; delta flight for ATL leaves about that time, other flights too. If the penalty for missing the flight is more than the difference in shuttle money (most likely); then pay the $25 difference....BTW, is taxi an option?

www.crowncabinc.com/quoteafareonline.asp

Expressway Cab Co 704) 522-3838

If your boarding pass shows United Flight Number - check in is UA

If it shows US Airways, chk in is US Airways...

BTW for domestic flight - you are supposed to be at the airport 90 mins prior to take off...

4. Re: how early do I need to get to CLT airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:18