We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach or mountains

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mendota Heights...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
beach or mountains

We're flying into Charlotte in September and have five days free. Should we drive to the coast or the mountains.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: beach or mountains

Mountains

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach or mountains

I love both, especially this time of year. Mountains are cooler; great for hiking, looking for waterfalls. Lots of small towns with arts, great restaurants, etc.

NC beaches are great too, this time of year. The crowds are gone and so has much of the high heat and humidity. Plenty to see/do and explore along the coast, or just relax and enjoy the beach. Good shopping and restaurants can be found, too.

This time of year you'll probably find fun festivals to attend at both the coast or mountains.

What sounds good to you? Let us know which area you decide on and we'll give more detailed suggestions.

Mendota Heights...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: beach or mountains

We love to stay in hotels right on the beach. Do you know of any.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: beach or mountains

I was going to say mountains also...but looks like you really want to go to the beach. I like Island Vista in Myrtle Beach, SC. Great ocean-front condos:

http://www.islandvista.com/

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach or mountains

I would go to Charleston area - highway driving is easy, beaches+ history. Could even come back via Sumter National Forest (I-26) & Hendersonville (mountains, nature)... if you like.. When in September? Lots of Festivals & events; Charleston $20 for Museum Mile Weekend

$20 for thirteen attractions, 843-722-2996 x 235. ..

http://www.ncfestivals.com/

www.southfest.com/southcarolina.shtml

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach or mountains

Although the Myrtle Beach resort suggested looks to probably be one of the nicest places I've ever seen in MB, crowds and terrible traffic are year round at Myrtle Beach, (plus most hotels, motels, resorts in the area aren't nearly so nice) so we avoid that area except for driving into the city for a day or two of outlet shopping for Christmas gifts each fall. We much prefer a quieter, more natural beach.

We own a vacation home on the beautiful barrier island of Holden Beach, NC, about an hour north of Myrtle Beach and 3 1/2 hour drive from Charlotte; Holden Beach has no hotels and very few small condo developments. The next beach south of Holden Beach (Ocean Isle Beach, NC) is similar to HB and has a nice hotel on it's island....http://www.oceanisleinn.com/ Nice quiet beach with good dinning nearby, but close to MB if you feel the need.

The Charleston area is a nice suggestion, the beaches are nice and quiet, and the beautiful historic city of Charleston is just a short trip away from the beaches. Lots going on down there this time of year; one of my all time favorites, if you're going to be there on or after the 23rd is the Preservation Society's Fall Tours of Homes and Gardens.. www.preservationsociety.org/tour_dates.asp

When visiting the area, if not staying in a beautiful historic inn in Charleston, we love to stay at the beach on Isle of Palms... http://www.thepalmshotel.us/ or http://www.wilddunes.com/

Edited: 11 September 2010, 18:33
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: beach or mountains

Gee Mickey - we've never experienced crowds and terrible traffic in MB in the fall.....hmmmm.... always been pretty easy to get around. I will admit there is more development at MB than the NC beaches...but more amenities also. I guess the OP will need to decide the environment they want. The beauty of a forum - you get all types of opinions.

I do agree with the Charleston suggestion. I will say Isle of Palms used to be one of our favorite destinations but it is so overbuilt it's just not what it used to be. The island is too small for the amount of construction that has gone on there.

Edited: 12 September 2010, 11:37
Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach or mountains

Agree with bud41. We were in MB this past Labor Day weekend and it was great. No traffic, no crowds compared to June or July. Wish we could take our vacation in Sept instead of the middle of the summer.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach or mountains

Come see us in the mountains. Fall is a beautiful time to visit. 2 hours from the Charlotte Airport

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.grandfather.com

www.mastgeneralstore.com

www.southernhighlandguild.org

www.tweetsie.com

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com/members.list.php…

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beach or mountains

September is the perfect time for...the Beach!! (and myrtle beach will not be crowded) I would look at some beaches in south-eastern NC...Carolina/Kure/Holden/Isle of Palm/Ocean Isle...,,any of those.

Mountains are beautiful too..but the leaves will not have changed yet, too early in that area.