We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courtyard Southpark?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Courtyard Southpark?

We are family of 4 (kids are both 4 yrs old) driving from Cleveland to the Villages in Florida to visit the wife's parents. Charlotte is about the half way point. We are looking for hotel for a 1 night stay.

The plan is to drive through the night and get to the Charlotte area around 7 or 8am. Get breakfast somewhere before trying to check in. We also plan on visiting the Discovery Place. We probably will just order a pizza for dinner back at the hotel. Go to bed early and head to the Villages in the morning after checking out.

I know the Discovery Place is in the downtown area. But I was looking at the Courtyard South Park for $79/night on Priceline (not name your own price - prob could get it cheaper) or something similar in the South Park area. Main concern would be safety and close to I-77.

Is the area safe?

Should I look at stay downtown closer to Discovery Place. I assume downtown Charlotte hotels charge for parking as they do in most cities.

Any comments or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Courtyard Southpark?

The Southpark area is fairly affluent so it's a generally safe area. You should probably plan on ~30 minute drive into downtown with traffic and parking.

You're right, ideally you'd probably want to stay downtown since it'd would save you a bit of inconvenience driving downtown from Southpark, but it might be hard to match that rate downtown. A number of the downtown hotels offer weekend specials though, so if you're traveling on the weekend it might be worth it to check around.

I've stayed downtown at the Holiday Inn Center City a number of times and it has always been nice but I don't think you'd get as good a rate there. They never charged me for parking that I recall, but I think their official policy is to charge a parking fee.

If you end up staying at the Southpark Courtyard, The Original Pancake House on the corner of Sharon and Fairview (Sharon Corners shopping center) serves a good breakfast.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Courtyard Southpark?

The Southpark area, as mentioned, is upscale. But, exercise caution anywhere in Charlotte as you would in any sizable city. there is petty crime at the mall ( car break-ins, occasional muggings, etc...) but I've never felt unsafe there.

I agree if your main destination is Discovery Place, an uptown hotel might be more convenient, but DP does have parking available so you can drive in.

You'll find excellent restaurants, shopping and amenities in the Southpark area. The 79.00 rate is great!

Best wishes.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Courtyard Southpark?

Thanks for the responses. I did more research and the $79 rate was for the current rates. When I put in some March dates, it jumped to starting at $134. So I might still get it for $79 if I put in a bid.

I'm going to start another thread. After I did more research on Priceline. I think I have figured out the area we want to stay in that is cheaper.

The 2 areas that I will be looking at will be the South Park area and Executive Park-Airport South area.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Courtyard Southpark?

Why Southpark? Do you want to do shopping? Restaurants?

My choices:

Four Points, formerly Best Western - very close to Carolina Place Mall & Centrum Shopping - would call & ask for Manager's special of $59...

You could easily drive to the end of Lynx (kind of above ground metro train); easy to get to downtown... Easy to get to I-485, then south to SC on I-77 to get to FL.

Good reviews - suites...much better now that it was renovated & taken off Best Western, IMO.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49438-d236277-…

Hampton Inn - same area Pineville NC (it's actually a kind of mini-town within Charlotte - probably the safest area....

Residence Inn - close to Stonecrest - could try to get some special rate from the Sales Manager. If on a weekday, you get kind of early supper - free; also usually you can check in rather early.

Courtyard Southpark - if you really want the area - best rate on weekends, but usually without breakfast.

Cheapest - right on Lynx Line would be Sterling (Best Western) - some travellers reported getting a rate of $54/night incl. breakfast by calling direct & asking for Mgr. Special. Not as nice area as the 2 above, but OK with normal precautions. Handy for Discovery Place.

Downtown - hotels do not discount directly, so Priceline Name Your Own is the only way to get something reasonable... best bet is Omni, but parking is expensive...

When are you coming down? Hopefully outside some major event ...

Also check online if any coupons for Discovery Place...

5. Re: Courtyard Southpark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:25