We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

I am driving from Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC- Highway US-501 South. I am looking for the best BBQ restaurant/diner on the way- any suggestions?

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

I know it's early in the trip, but if you're going east on hwy 74 then Outlaw BBQ Shack in Monroe is VERY good. They won Taste of Charlotte in 2010. Further down, I'm not sure, I'm sure some locals will chime in as we've all made that trip numerous times!! Have fun!

Edited: 29 July 2011, 00:54
Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Good luck in between Charlotte and Myrtle Beach...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Ok....how about any good restaurant, diner on they way.

Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

hmmm...I can't really think of anything...you go through some small towns and not many of those...mostly you see fast food stuff. I'm sure there may be something around Darlington/Florence.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Not sure why your route to MB is but if you want to divert a bit there is Fuller's in Lumberton NC for BBQ. Or another side trip might be to visit Shane's in Florence...not to bad for BBQ. But in all honestly you are not in a good area for great NC BBQ.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

As an afterthought post this question in the SC forum.

Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Lumberton would not be the most likely and direct route to MB from CLT.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Here are a couple of double-secret off-the-beaten-path places that will make you want to move to the area so you can eat there more often:

--Stanton's Barbecue, off SC 79 between Bennettsville and Hamlet. It's a little difficult to find, but it's well worth it. Take the NC 38 exit off I-74 at Hamlet, and head south towards Bennettsville. At the intersection with SC 79, turn left and go about 2 miles and look for the sign on the left. They have excellent eastern NC style vinegar-based bbq, with more black pepper than most to give it a zing. They have many other country cooking choices that vary daily, things like chicken & pastry, turkey & dressing, fried catfish, etc. It's the very definition of a dive, sort of stuck in the 1950's or 60's with their slat-back chairs and metal-trimmed formica dining tables. The waitress will more than likely call you "Honey", too. Get a pound or two of their barbecue to take to the beach with you--makes great sandwiches on a bun with cole slaw!

--Just as good, but not quite as difficult to find is General McArthur's, just off US 501 outside Laurinburg. They have a country buffet with very good barbecue (not quite as good as Stanton's, but still quite tasty), fried chicken, fried fish & shrimp, etc., and an amazing array of vegetables cooked in a very Southern style. The corn fritters are awesome! To get there, take the US 501 south exit off US 74 in Laurinburg. Go about 1 mile, and turn right onto Barnes Bridge Road. Follow about 2 miles to the stop sign, go straight and the restaurant is just ahead on the right. You don't want to miss this place!

And finally, if you're really pressed for time, I might suggest Smithfield's barbecue, located at the US 74/US 15/501 intersection in Laurinburg. It is a regional chain, and barbecue purists will diss it because they use gas (not wood), but it's good enough to satisfy a barbecue craving, and it's easy in and out from the highway. Their fried chicken is also very good.

Edited: 03 August 2011, 13:33
Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Outlaw BBQ Shack in Monroe is now closed. :( Great suggestions above though!

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
577 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charlotte, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

Im a purist but Smithfield's always works in a pinch. I have also heard very good things about General McArthur's but I've never been there myself. IMO the best BBQ is east of I-95, but well out of the way of the original posters route.