We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charming neighborhoods?

Huntersville
14 posts
Save Topic
charming neighborhoods?

Can anyone point me in the direction of neighborhoods in South Charlotte/Ballyntine area? I'm looking specifically for trees and wooded lots that were built in the 90's. I really like the picturesque neighborhoods, but I'm having a hard time driving around finding neighborhoods like this. I'm sure they're out there, but I'm going in circles! My price range is 300,000 to 350,000. Schools are a priority and a swim and tennis community would be great. I will be working with a realtor, but initially I would like to do some looking on my own. Bud41, Can you help me? You're information in this forum is the best I've found after many, many hours of internet searches about Charlotte. Thanks in advance!

northern Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: charming neighborhoods?

Picturesque and charming areas??Been searching for this as well.Reading thru all the posts,I am beginging to think this is a city of new sub-divisions with large homes ,strip malls,decent schools,NY and LI transferees but what else? I cant beleive all of you come here to have a bigger house..I would love to know what is wonderful about the area BESIDES all the house you get for the money (and new schools).Charlotte has been around a long time.What makes it special?? What is going on with the crime rate? Gangs? What do the locals think of this explosion of transferees,has it been a plus for your lives?? I think of this area with hopes of kind,sweet southern charm,grace,family values and hospitality,wonderful outdoor activities and a nice climate.This is what I expect to hand out,I hope its what is there still(plus a nice home)..

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charming neighborhoods?

here are a couple of suggestions...go to www.allentate.com and check out Quail Acres under subdivisions (or) to expand your search use zip code 28277. If you are still frustrated may I suggest contacting Pam Osburn with Allen Tate...she works out of their Ballantyne office (she was a realtor that we worked with and really can't say enough good things about her). Good Luck to you!

Huntersville
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: charming neighborhoods?

thanks lovestegacay! I read many of your posts. I'm looking in Tega Cay this weekend. I thought I'd start at lake shores with the new developement.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: charming neighborhoods?

Ballantyne has many excellent amenities and mixed residential areas. I don't know that "charming" is the right word - maybe curb appeal or trendy or even manicured would fit. The area is too new to be "charming". I suggest you search in some of the surrounding towns around Mecklenburg if you want "charming". Or, if you can be satisfied with a bungalow and don't need a sprawling two-story monstrosity, you'll find "charming" in the urban neighborhoods such as Dilworth, the Vail Ave. area, Elizabeth, etc...

Charlotte used to be the "City Of Trees" - it still has a full time arborist ( and a good one he is, too!). Unfortunately, the new builders don't share the love of trees - they build their cookie cutter houses on postage stamp sized lots and plant a few little trees and say they've done something. I applaud you for searching for something as you described.I agree a good real estate agent will be valuable - get one who has been in the area a long time. I wish you the best!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charming neighborhoods?

Take a look at Park Crossing, most of the homes were built in the 80's and earily 90's. Great location near Park Road and Hwy 51. Beautiful homes with wooded lots and great families. Pool, volleyball court, playground and very active tennis club. We lived there 8 years and loved it. We moved for a bigger house. Most of the homes would be more than $350, but there should be some in your price range. This is a very desirable neighborhood and the homes sell very quickly. Our house never made it on the market. We sold it before we had a chance to even straighten up our closets.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: charming neighborhoods?

Hey new1start...sure you can't make it by tomorrow....today is gorgeous and tomorrow's high is to be around 78 (sorry but the weekend it calling for rain). Love to have you take a look at Lake Shore...but keep in mind there's alot more to Tega Cay as well. If you continue up Tega Cay Drive past Lake Shore make a right on Windjammer all the way until where it dead-ends into Windjammer Park overlooking Lake Wylie (sandy beach, and various playground items)... if you continue on Tega Cay Drive beyond Windjammer the Golf course and tennis club will be on the left side (there are public tennis courts too but currently being resurfaced). The Tega Cay Beach Club (outdoor pool and workout room, volleyball court...also overlooking Lake Wylie). There are numerous parks (along with soccer fields and baseball fields and walking trails) scattered throughout the city...if you go to the new website of the Tega Cay rec. department there will be various pictures. Lastly there are resell homes and new homes still being built in other parts of the city you might check into too (WaterTrace, Seven Coves to name just a couple). Once again wishing you good luck!

http://www.tegacayrec.com/

Huntersville
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: charming neighborhoods?

I spent a lot of time on the Tega Cay rec site yesterday. I'm loving it!! My husband is already in Charlotte and viewed a home for sale in an older subdivison there. I won't say the name because I don't want to tip anyone off to a home I'm waiting anxiously to see. - (sorry folks) We will see it this weekend, I can't wait! I'll let you know...

Huntersville
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: charming neighborhoods?

thanks for everyone's replies. I'm printing this thread to take along to realtors. I'm really excited about Charlotte!