We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
400 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

I have never been to Charlotte and will be working downtown for 5 weeks in April-May. Is there anything to do after 5pm? Where do locals go for a drink after work? Safe not seedy!

Is there a YMCA downtown or a great yoga studio? I enjoy running - is there a safe indoor/outdoor track or Greenway - where I'm unlikely to get mugged?

Probably have no rental car - so I need suggestions within walking distance or via public transportation.

I also like history, culture, arts, museums, ect.

Anything you recommend is appreciated and thanks in advance.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

Without a car, here are a few suggestions....catch a show or two at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. Mint Museum, Discovery Place (Mummy exhibit is there now). If sports fan, NASCAR Hall of Fame, NBA Charlotte Bobcats and or Charlotte Checkers (hockey).

There are a couple YMCA's downtown (College Street and Morehead Street) that may offer yoga classes.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

There is the uptown Aquatic Center- great swimming opportunities and at least 2 YMCAs. Lots of people jog/run uptown, it is generally very safe. Lots of great museums- Harvey Gant, Mint, and other art museums, Levine Museum of the New South for history and Discovery Place for science. Great public library. Blumenthal Center for plays and concerts and NASCAR Hall of Fame, too. If you do get a car there are lots of great places within easy driving distance.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

You might consider renting a car for a day or 2; probably cheaper from car dealers than the usual rental companies @ the airport...

Otherwise: Blumenthal Center, Spirit Sq. theaters, Actors Theatre, NC Music Factory, Double Door, NoDa Theatres: http://www.noda.org/music.cfm

Belk:

April 10 - 15 2012 Bring it on - Musical

Sat, Apr 7 Clybourne Park Actors' Theatre: http://actorstheatrecharlotte.org/

Madeleine Peyroux - McGlohon Theatre: 16th May

The Pretty Reckless - The Visulite Theatre 4/19/2012

Bring it On: Belk 10-15

Shatner - 10 April

Other performances:http://www.charlotte-theater.com/?sortcol=venue&sortord=asc&venid=4228

www.charlottecultureguide.com/event.php…

The culture guide, charlottesgotalot.com = good source of into; as well as Creative Loafing.

Exercises, yoga, jogging: meetup.com/http-www-charlottemeditation-com-…

charmeck.org/mecklenburg/…freedom.aspx

The busiest time - Race w/ends in May - May 17 - May 27 is always incredibly busy...Epicentre gets crowded with Nascar Fans...

The Charlotte UltraSwim Grand Prix will be held on May 10-13, quite a few hotels are booked up - so again, quite busy, but could be fun to watch....

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
646 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

Second the renting a car option for a few days, typically try and go off-airport and you'll save some bucks. Enterprise and Hertz can usually pick you up so you don't have to get there. The Epicenter is quite popular, the area can be a little sketchy at night, so just mind your surroundings. There are several bars and restaurants located around the Time Warner Arena, and if there is a game that night will probably be safe in the crowds. A lot of uptown centers have live music in the Spring/Summer after 5. I'm not really an after-5 kind of person, so hopefully the other folks on this board can help.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

Lots to do Uptown - tons of bars/restaurants catering to the 'after work' group. This is fun too... :)

http://aliveafterfives.com/the-epicentre/

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
400 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

Now - that's what I'm talking about dmw4444!

Thanks everyone for the help. I live in Nashville (which is a tourist town), so I'm much more interested in what you LOCAL folks do after 5.

Looks like most of the museums you recommend close @5pm?

Also - I don't see any online class schedules for the YMCA. I put myself on the mailing lists and maybe they will send me a decoder?

Are there any private yoga studios Uptown?

I appreciate everything and happy to repay the favor if you ever have questions about Nashville!

Matthews, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

I would recommend the Epicenter for after 5. Howl at the Moon is a great dueling piano bar, if you like to dance there's Whiskey River, there's lots of food places there and if you just like to people watch you can sit in the courtyard and watch people going from one place to another. Also usually a hot dog vendor there (at least on the weekends when I've been) if you just want to hang outside.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

You did not specify where you were staying, but I will assume an uptown, as it is called here, hotel. The previous posters have done a good job laying out your options. A few other things to consider. An occasional rental car if you are staying over the weekend will help. Charlotte is a fun place, and while not a small city, one or two weekends with a car is a good idea. Night time entertainment should be plentiful. Downtown Charlotte is statiscally safe, but like any city, avoid being caught alone. In the busy areas at night there will be plenty of people around, but that is not the time to explore. The bus system is generally safe, and would get you to like Southpark for a little change of pace. I would make the trip to Southpark if uptown got too small, but would not make the trip for the sake of going.

As far as jogging, a good rule is go south or east from uptown. If jogging around uptown, particularly to the north and west. stay inside the 277 loop. If you go south or east, not such an issue. Jogging in the morning or daytime is unlikely to be a problem.

There are some decent areas to go out other than uptown, but without a car I suggest a short cab ride. Davidson/36th has some decent places, partivularly for music. Central/Plaza also is a possibility. Find a copy of Creative Loafing for more info onj these places, or ask at your hotel.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
400 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

Thanks jnhdrac - yes I will be in uptown hotel for 5 weeks w/no rental car - since I am within walking distance of my office. I will pickup "Creative Loafing" upon arrival and ask the hotel, but I thought I might save some time and ask TripAdvisor first - since I usually get much better advice from the locals.

10. Re: 5 weeks on business - need fun recommendations!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:17