We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

Hello All! It's that time of year again and we've decided to just keep it simple and go to Charlotte but we know nothing of the area. I really want to stay somewhere that when we walk out of the hotel great places to eat and be entertained are near. So I've narrowed it down to these 2 hotels but I was hoping that someone on here could give me some insight on which is better. Thanks so much for any replies!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

I would stay in the SouthPark area. Nice shopping, great Mall and good restaurants.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

Hi - if you really want to walk to different places, you need to stay downtown, not in the SouthPark area. You can't really walk anywhere in SouthPark. Things are very close by car (<5 min), but it's not really designed to walk, and I can't really think of much "entertainment" in SouthPark. The SouthPark area is nice, but based on your specific request, I would recommend that you focus on the downtown area.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about the Hyatt House... It's a pretty new hotel, so I'm sure it's fine from that perspective. However, it's not one of the more convenient hotels. Now, let me say this -- downtown is NOT that big, so nothing is really THAT far. But, that being said, you don't really want to be on the "outskirts" for no good reason. Not sure what your price point is, but I'd suggest staying in the area between say MLK/3rd St and about 5th/6th St. and then College - Church St. This hotel is a few blocks off of that...close to the arena, which is great if you're going to the arena as the primary purpose of your trip. If not, I'd suggest looking at the Hilton, Omni, Marriott Center City or Courtyard...or the Ritz if you're feeling fancy (they have rates for NC residents...or at least they used to...and the hotel is VERY nice...love it! Did a staycation for my parents for their 40th anniversary and I didn't want to leave after I set up the room for them. :) ). There are probably other options that are not coming to mind now. The Westin is ok, but a bit off the beaten path. Perfect for conventions, but not as great for being out and about downtown.

In the downtown area, you'll find restaurants sprinkled throughout. Also, there's the EpiCentre complex with clubs, etc. Not sure what you'd be looking for, but Howl at the Moon is a dueling piano bar that is a bit less "MTV" than the rest of the complex can be at night. Oh, there's some sort of champagne bar in the EpiCentre now also - haven't been yet. The Ritz has live music in the lobby bar, I think, and I've heard it's a nice place to grab a drink. There are other clubs, etc. downtown as well,

Anyway, again, if you want to walk to a bunch of stuff at night, you'll need to be downtown. Note that there's not really any shopping there, so you may end up in the SouthPark area for a day drip anyway. :)

Hope this helps!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
646 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

I agree with everything Goheels98 posted. For walk-ability, downtown beats Southpark by a mile. And while I'm sure the Hyatt is fine, it's not as centrally located as others, which in hot, muggy weather could make a real difference. Be sure to check out the NC Music Factory area, a short cab ride from central downtown.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

I'd suggest you look at either the Hilton Garden Inn uptown or the Hampton uptown. They are a short walk from most of the museums and Epicenter and are across the street from NASCAR Hall of Fame. They also provide a free shuttle service to just about anywhere within 3 miles of uptown. Also they have a parking deck so your car is safe and secure.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

It depends on what you are interested in...

Southpark is next to the mall, literally. Lots of shopping and yummy food places. Probably more of a family feel than Uptown.

Uptown is definitely the place if you want to walk to the Art Museums, NASCAR, Discovery Place see a show or have an urban feel. You can also ride the lightrail to Southend or hop in the car to the North Davidson /. NoDa Area. Plus the highway is right there if you want to explore away from Uptown. You will need to pay for parking in Uptown hotels (increases your overall budget.) Lots of food places. If you are into dancing and bars, there is a big nightlife. I vote Uptown.... unless you want a quieter experience with less traffic and hassle---then Southpark.

6. Re: Hyatt House on Trade St or Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21