We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending 4th of july week in NC

North Andover MA.
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
spending 4th of july week in NC

HI! Ive been visiting these boards for a few weeks and they have been very helpful! We are driving down from Boston the week of the 4th to investigate a possible relocation. (We are actually planning two trips -the next one to investigate the coastal area's)

We will be visiting the Chapell Hill area for two days and then driving down to Ashevill for three. Then down to Simpsonville SC to visit relatives for a few days.

We would like to make one more stop in NC ( for one day)on our trip home... we are torn between Raleigh and Charlotte.

We are trying to get a basic feel for the area's-people, culture, things to do etc...We plan on renting for a year before we buy.

We are both in young 9 late 30's early 40's and no kids-so the school systems arnt an issue for us....

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending 4th of july week in NC

Hey poohsta! We're heading up to Boston at the end of July. We're really looking forward to it.

On the Charlotte, Raleigh question. Raleigh is a college town and a lot of what happens there revolves around the university. You'll see a lot of that in Chapel Hill too. From what I understand Raleigh and Chapel Hill are very similar culturally so you might want to head to Charlotte to experience something a little different.

Charlotte is centered more around business especially the banking industry. There are a couple of colleges/universities in Charlotte and they are growing but they just aren't the focus of the city.

Charlotte is home of the Charlotte Panthers it's also the home of Nascar, even though the race track is technically in Concord. :D There's a lot of diversity in Charlotte. There's a lot of lakes around Charlotte in case you're into water sports or fishing, quite a few museums and a really cool raptor center. Charlotte is about 3 hours from the Blue Ridge mtns, about 3 hours from the Smoky Mtns, about 3 hours from the beach, Carolina beach and Wilmington and about 4 hours from Charleston.

North Andover MA.
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending 4th of july week in NC

Sounds like Maybee Charlotte might be next on that "to-do" list then!

Hope You enjoy Boston! First trip here?

NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending 4th of july week in NC

Yes, first trip there. We're going to spend Saturday in Boston. Then we're going up the coast to Wells beach. Two days there. Then over to the mountains. We'll spend the last few days in Nashua. The match that we are going to is in Pelham.

I can hardly wait.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending 4th of july week in NC

Hello poohsta,

Hope you enjoy your stay in NC. Let me propose an alternative to Raleigh & Charlotte for you...

If you're possibly going to be in Greensboro (1 hour west of Chapel Hill, 90 minutes north of Charlotte, at the intersection of I-40 and I-85) on Tuesday, July 4, come enjoy the Fun Fourth Festival in our charming downtown. There will be bands, crafts, etc, plus our grand marshall this year is Olympic Gold Medalist and native son, Joey Cheek.

aroundthepiedmonttriad.com/gsofestivals/fun4…

Greensboro is smaller than Raleigh and Charlotte, bigger then Chapel Hill, and much more affordable than any of those three. There are many wonderful neighborhoods, including several within a mile or two of our downtown (great nightlife!). It's an overlooked city, but that has helped keep it affordable and not too sprawled out. Do yourself a favor and take a look.