We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Glasgow
Level Contributor
108 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Trip suggestions

Hi guys :)

24 female solo traveler. Never been to Charlotte before (I'm from Glasgow, Scotland) but been to the US a few times.

I'm looking for suggestions of things to do and see, I will be in Charlotte a week on Tuesday for a week.

I'm staying at the Knights Inn near the airport, don't drive. I like museums, historical things, culture, going off the beaten track etc.

Also looking for recommendations for eating out, probably less than $$$, but I'm hoping to avoid eating at McDonalds for a full holiday again lol.

Any helps, tips, suggestions would be awesome! xx

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip suggestions

There is a city bus stop near the Knight's Inn. Across the street from the hotel is a Cracker Barrel restaurant. That's a chain restaurant specializing in 'southern home cooking' style food. Not the greatest n the world, but definitely good and a fair value. Take the bus uptown (as we refer to our downtown/center city area) for the museums. There's the Harvey Gantt art museum- focus on African-American art; the Mint museum- general art, The Levine Museum of the New South- history, Discovery Place- science museum, The Betchler- general and modern art , the NASCAR Hall of Fame - stock car racing, and probably several I've missed. There is also the Epicenter- shops, clubs, restaurants, bowling and movies. And lots of restaurants to choose from uptown- from upscale, to casual- even some Irish/British style pubs. Additionally, there is the Aquatic Center and Ray's Splash Planet- for swimming.

Not sure how you'd get there without a car, but you might enjoy the National Whitewater Center (about a 10 min. drive from the Knight's Inn)- whitewater rafting, canoeing, zipline, etc.

Or the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont (about a 15-20 min. drive from the hotel).

You might want to consider changing to an uptown hotel, in fact. Check out the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn uptown, and the Residence Inn uptown. All are within easy walking distance of many uptown 'things'. And the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton offer a free shuttle to anywhere within a 3 mile radius of uptown. You can get a shuttle bus from the airport to uptown for about $2.50- or take a cab for about $20-25.

Wish I was heading your way. We used to visit England and Scotland about twice a year- but had to stop due to family health issues. I REALLY MISS SCOTLAND!!!

Edited: 12 August 2013, 19:34
Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip suggestions

I agree that you might want to stay in an area that has a bit more to do and will add, is a bit safer. As a female traveler I don't think I'd be comfortable staying there quite honestly. A lot of the airport hotels aren't in the best part of town. It isn't horrible, but if I was traveling alone, I'd pick somewhere else. The hotel also seems to get pretty bad reviews on Trip Advisor, I would be sure to take a look at that before you confirm.

Uptown may be more than you want to spend, but you may have better luck staying at a location a little further out that will transport you to the light rail, the area may be safer and you can "train in" to town for a few days. The light rail runs from South Blvd. to what is called "uptown" Charlotte, most people would call downtown. My suggestion, since I'm a southside girl, would be to stay somewhere like Pineville, and see if those hotels offer shuttles to the light rail. Most of the hotels are in areas with restaurants/shopping within walking distance and is a safer area than the Knights Inn location. Here is a link to hotels in that town. It may cost a little more to get out there by taxi, but I do know the bus runs there as well. tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g49438-Pineville_Nort…

I think the point about finding a hotel with a shuttle might be something to really look into, it really can help make it a more pleasant stay if you aren't going to drive.

In terms of cheap restaurants, there is always fast food, but we also have some cheaper chain restaurants, Qdoba and Chipotle (Mexican), Jersey Mike's, Penn, Subway, Jimmy John's (subs), Jason's Deli, McAlister's Deli, Panera Bread (casual American food, sandwiches, salads, etc.).

Please feel free to DM me if you need more info, got back from Glasgow in June and the posters on the forums saved me a lot of time and energy directing me so I'll try and help you as much as I can.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip suggestions

It might be interesting to compare Macbeth (as seen in the UK) with Macbeth production here...as a part of Shakespeare Festival. I definitely recommend it....just seen it...

The theatre is small (Booth Playhouse- in Bank of America Building)..Free - donations from $5 which is a bargain... Perhaps a matinee on Saturday or Sunday?

www.charlotteshakespeare.com

charmeck.org/mecklenburg/…22freethingsasc.pdf

Check all other Free or Almost free suggestions - if on a strict budget.

Bechtler Museum, Levine's - worth the visit.

If staying @Knight's Hotel, you might want to use the bus...see the link: There are other inexpensive hotels near Woodlawn area, etc. near the Lynx (above ground "metro" train.)

charmeck.org/city/…sprinter.aspx

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49022-d94199-R…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g49022-d62847…

---

Booth Playhouse: Macbeth: August 15th - 25th

Thursdays at 7:30pm

Fridays - Saturdays at 8:00pm

Saturday matinees Aug. 17 and 24 at 2:00pm

Sunday matinees Aug.18 and 25 at 3:00pm

Edited: 18 August 2013, 02:16
NC
Level Contributor
458 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip suggestions

I am going to be blunt. That hotel is a dump and has lots of crime. Stay somewhere else!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
108 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip suggestions

Thank you for the information guys, you have really helped me with my planning :) I'm going to stay with the hotel I have- I've actually been in worse areas so I'm going to brave it out :) But thank you again for all the helps guys xx

6. Re: Trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:18