We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

We have tickets for the Carolina Hurricanes just after Christmas. I checked goggle maps it it says approx 3hrs from Charlotte to Raleigh arena.

My question is do we have to worry about the weather at this time of year or traffic problems getting there. It looks like a fairly easy route Hwy 85 to 40, Or does anyone advise a different route? Game time is 7pm and we are leaving from a hotel near the airport near the westside of 485 hwy.

Figured we leave at 2pm , catch a bite to eat around 530 and be at the game by 630.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

There's always the possibility of bad weather, but you're far more likely to run into rain than frozen stuff. You _could_ run into frozen, so bear that in mind and keep an eye on the forecasts, but it's unlikely. NC does not have heavy snow removal equipment because it's so infrequent outside of the mountains so we mostly just wait for it to melt which usually only takes a day or two. Most likely you'll have a sunny day with temps in the 50sF (10-15C).

I think your timing is pretty good, but not sure of traffic issues around the Hurricanes arena. You might check out the local TV station (http://www.wral.com/traffic/) and see how traffic is around the arena during game times. Charlotte and Raleigh both can have some less than great traffic at times, so you might need to pad it a little, but in general I think you've got a pretty good plan. You never know what you might run into, though, so no guarantees.

NC
Level Contributor
822 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

85 to 40 is definitely the best route to take. I would recommend you allow more time though. Traffic getting into the arena can take a while and I'm not sure where you plan to grab a bite to eat, but with only allowing an hour, that would not allow time to eat at a restaurant, especially close to the arena. Many of the eating places will be packed right before the game.

You should be ok as far as the weather goes, but just keep a check on it while you're here. We've already has snow here in the central part of NC (last week), so our weather can vary in different parts of the state.

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

Ya thanks for the replies both of you, so nice to hear opinions from those that live in the area. Guess would not hurt to leave about 1pm, figured we just stop at a place along the highway for dinner before the game, not sure where but i am sure lots of places to stop along the highway before actually getting right into the arena area.

Food at the arena is probably expensive like any other major sport event. Does anyone have any suggestions on best place to park so we can get out easy to go back to charlotte after the game. I know it will be late . probably around 10pm when game is over unless overtime, but we have a free place to stay in charlotte for the remaining part of the week before we fly back home.Saw a map of parking area around arena but would like someone to suggest what lot might be best to exit back onto highway 40 back to charlotte.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 01:14
North Carolina
Level Contributor
344 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

Really any of the lots around the arena are easy enough to get back onto the interstate and headed home. I've been to many NC State football and basketball games there and they really do a good job at traffic flow in my opinion, especially afterwards. Definitely allow yourself plenty of time getting there though.

Your options for food in the immediate vicinity of PNC Arena is rather limited so stopping at a town on the way would probably be a better bet and easier in terms of traffic. If you like bbq or have never tried it in the NC fashion, you will pass through Lexington on the way and you could treat yourself to a big meal between lunch/dinner as it's closer to Charlotte than Raleigh so you might need a snack at the arena, but I'd much rather get good food and a snack there then some chain restaurant you can get anywhere! haha Just some thoughts to consider! Good luck!

5. Re: Trip from Charlotte to Raleigh.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:17