We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Car rental prices at Charlotte airport are very high! Is there a good alternative rental location near to, but not on, charlotte airport property. We are currently in Maui and can rental off airport propertyt within a cheap taxi ride to get a car.

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
574 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

The only other rental close to the airport and not on airport property would be Thrifty car Rental at 5330 Wilkinson Blvd Charlotte, NC 28208. (877) 283-0898 thrifty.com

Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

I finally found a very reasonable rate at a Thrifty location at 5125-b South Boulevard which is 7 mi from airport

Is your recommendation closer to airport? We plan on taking a cab to the location.

Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Has anyone rented at the south boulevard location? I have read reviews of the thrifty wilkinson location an there are serious service problems there according to reviews.

Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

My final question- can someone give me an estimate of iof a cab from Charlotte airport to south Boulevard?

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

I rented from the Thrify Jan 2014. , 5330 Wilkinson address, they have a shuttle that picks you up just outside of baggage claim area, 5 minute ride., Got a great rate through them and shuttle is free from airport to pickup and back.

Just be prepared to maybe wait a few minutes for the shuttle and at the counter to get the car , as was fairly busy location.

Taking a cab from airport to South Blvd location is at least 20 minutes away, cab back and forth(pickup and dropoff) would run you a few dollars, guessing 35$ each way.

Read any reviews of any car rentals and lots of complaints, so don't believe what you read always.Just they are busy. Well if it's a good price OBVIOUSLY IT WILL BE BUSY! and you might have to wait 20 minutes to get your car , big whoop!

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:57
Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Thx. I got a superb rate for a mid-size SUV from s blvd and checked with a taxi company for the estimated fare. They said $20 and I am getting a ride back to airport from the thrifty location from a family member. I will post . So I am going to try this. Will post what happens. You never know. I didn't realize how lucky we are in Maui to have lots of good options.

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Good luck, I have rented from many different companies and as long as you stay with the known names have never had a problem. Like i said some people like to complain about a small wait for a car and how long the line will be.

Well you may pay big money for a rental and get the same thing, it all depends on timing sometimes whether you have to wait a bit. I found Charlotte also pricey for a car rental when i searched as well until after looking many days in a row got a great rate at Thifty, and had no problem other then a 15 minute wait for the car. My advice is keep checking right up to the day before, as a car rental can usually be cancelled easy and booked within seconds at another.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 01:13
Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Exactly. We are about to rent the fourth car here in Hawaii when we go back to Honolulu - all at pretty competitive rates. So I was stunned when I saw $90/day rates at charlotte! Enterprise even quoted a rate over $100/day. I will keep checking until we get there and try to do better there.

anchorage
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Hey, thanks for this message thread! I am looking for a car in Charlotte and about choked when I saw the rate to pick up at the airport. I am using your suggestions here...so thanks again!

Waimanalo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rentals Charlotte Nc

Glad it helps. I too was stunned by the at airports daily rates.