We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

First timers heading to Charlotte here!

I'm hoping someone will have some suggestions on what areas to stay in, or stay away from! As we all know, hotels can LOOK nice in the pictures, but are surrounded by a bad area that you had no way of knowing about.

Help?!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

Some information on what you are coming to Charlotte to do would help. Also, will you have a car. Uptown (aka downtown) is a good choice. These tend to be business focused hotels but some offer very good weekend rates. Southpark is another good area. There are some hotels around Tyvola Rd. towards the airport that are nice. Avoid airport hotels on Wilkinson Blvd. There are also some hotels on I think Little Rock Rd., that while the area isn't great, several of the hotels are very well run and the hotels themselves are ok. These tend to be national brand name hotels, and so are fairly easy to identify as decent. i would not jump at anything on Sugar Creek Rd. Also, Matthews and Concord have many options, but those are suburban towns and may or may not be convenient.

If you will not have a car, I lean towards uptown. If you will have a car, uptown is fine but I would factor in what you are here to do and choose based on that.

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

Thank you so much!

We are traveling to check out the Matthews area where my husband's job is relocating. We will rent a car and start scoping out apartment communities around the south area of Charlotte. Before we buy, we want to become acquainted with the city and the different neighborhoods.

Your response was directly on point! I GREATLY appreciate the roads you've listed!

Thank you SO much!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

There are several national brand hotels on Independence Blvd. (US74) in Matthews.I have had family and friends stay at some. SOuthpark is another option, but likely to be a little more expensive.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
647 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

If you don't want to stay out in Matthews, Southpark is a good location surrounded by great south Charlotte neighborhoods. Pretty easy access to everywhere and no concerns about bad areas around there.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

The Hampton Inn in Phillips Place is a nice hotel. 2 blocks from Southpark Mall. Great area!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

The Doubletree Suites in Southpark is also quite decent and somewhat k

Less expensive than the Hampton. There is also a Marriott and Hyatt Regency in Southpark . All quite nice and all within easy walking distance of shopping and many nice restaurants

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

If you want to get a better feel for the area, you can also look into Ballantyne area hotels. Uptown or SouthPark would be better "tourist destinations", but Matthews or Ballantyne would be better for what you're trying to do. There aren't really any "bad" parts of Matthews (or Ballantyne, for that matter), so you'll probably be fine with whatever you pick. The only issue with Ballantyne is that sometimes people really stretch the borders of "Ballantyne" -- it's a "desirable" area, so businesses often push the limits of what can be considered Ballantyne in order to associate their businesses with it (in my opinion...). But, if it says Ballantyne, it's probably ok.

Per a previous post, really the only thing to worry about is "airport area" hotels. Note that downtown (or uptown...or center city - all the same thing!) and SouthPark are both about 15 min from the airport. So, I'm talking things that are super close/bill themselves as "airport hotels". University area hotels/hotels on the North side of town are going to be too far from where you are going to be.

Hope this helps and good luck with the new job!

p.s. - beware of 485! They are widening it now, but the area on 485W between 77 and maybe Providence Rd. are horrible in the AM. (Not really sure if it goes all the way around to Providence or if it starts at exits closer to 77 because I don't travel that way - but I know it is bad). In the evenings, on 485E between 77 and Hwy 51 is a parking lot. I live off of 485 near 77, but in the opposite direction. Each time I have to go that way to run an errand after work, I become slightly suicidal. ;) Doesn't compare to LA traffic, of course, but you're in Charlotte where the living is easy and that traffic is completely unnecessary. People are drawn to the area for schools, etc. but know that killer traffic is the price you pay. It won't be like that over the weekend while you're here, so wanted to give you that heads up as you're looking for places to rent. Again, it is "supposed" to get better when they finish the project to widen the road...but it has been overcroweded since the road was built decades ago and this is the first attempt to fix the problem. I'm sure development will continue in the area and the extra lanes will be meaningless before long... Anyway, just a heads up!

8. Re: Where to stay (or stay away from) in Charlotte?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:17