We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charlotte hotel /safe area

Holyhead, Wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
charlotte hotel /safe area

December 1- 4th 3nights, Ballantynes or Courtyard Ballantynes catches my eye on the forum.

Charlotte is a stop off on my way home to the u.k, should I hire a car ? we do not want to if poss.

on reading some reports, some areas are no go.

bud 41 you give great info. I read them all all over the state.

I followed your advicefor my 16 day tour in Oct. looking forward to it.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Thanks for the kind words. Ballantyne area is nice but quite a distance from the airport. Taxi fare would probably cost more than renting a car. Public transporation ( bus system) is not desirable. Please feel free to post further questions as you plan your trip. Where all will your Dec. trip take you besides this area? Best wishes.

Mentioned in this post
The Ballantyne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Charlotte
The Ballantyne, A Luxury...
847 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Holyhead, Wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Bud 41 Many thanks again, I am flying in from Sarasota I wanted to have a look at Charlotte ( uptown/downtown) , maybe staying in the downtown area for the restaurants etc. we are seasoned travelers and know no place on earth is now 100% safe.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Uptown - I recommend the Marriott or Hilton for location. The Dunhill is a nice boutique hotel if you want something smaller. Westin and Omni are OK but on the skirts of uptown. The Doubletree near Johnson & Wals University is good - but be careful about walking around at night there. There is a daytime trolley that will take you around town - free of charge.

Mentioned in this post
The Dunhill Hotel
The Dunhill Hotel
463 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Holyhead, Wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Bud41 again I am in debt to you. I will take your advice. I hope to I will be able to help you one day .

may you have health, happiness& time to enjoy john

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Uptown Charlotte is generally speaking safe, but you should use some common sense precautions. If you are going to go out drinking, do not walk down streets alone, particularly if you are a little drunk. Charlotte is a fairly big city now, and we have some big city crime. Having said that, you can stay at the Mariott or Dunhill, which are in the thick of the nightclubs and restaurants, and be safe. The uptown area stays fairly busy, and is a safe place to be at night, but like any where, don't do crazy things. I would suggest the Mariott, Dunhill, or Holiday Inn if you want to go out at night.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
The Dunhill Hotel
The Dunhill Hotel
463 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Yes I was wondering if anyone could tell me how bad of an area Wilkinson Blvd in Charlotte is? I reserved a room for 3 nights with my family. We are coming up to check out some houses. Thinking of relocating to either Staesville or Monroe. Needed a place centrally located. My realtor didn't offer any suggestions so I was flying blind. How big of a mistake did I make?

Stikgirl

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Wilkinson Blvd is undesirable - run down, crime, drugs. Book elsewhere.

Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

I am already gonna be charged for one night plus $25 due to 24hr cancellation policy. Is too bad to even stay one night? And can you recommend somewhere that's not too expensive and that is centrally located between Monroe and Statesville? Wish I would have seen this site earlier. Now I am not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help

Stikgirl

Mentioned in this post
Statesville
Statesville
North Carolina
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

I will tell you this, I know that area so well ( I grew up on the west side of Charlotte and driv that route several times a week), there is no way I would subject my family to the dangers of that area. Which hotel trapped you into a no-cancelation fee?

As far as a location between Monroe and Statesville - you can stay in Pineville off I-485 and be closer to Monroe ( go over to I-77 and north to Statesville). Or you can stay up I-77 around Cornelius/Huntersville and be closer to Statesville. Uptown would be most central between the two- but you'd have higher prices, more traffic and you'd have to pay to park.

Best wishes/

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Statesville
Statesville
North Carolina
Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: charlotte hotel /safe area

Thanks alot for answering me I just wish I would have found that site earlier. I tried to cancel but they are still gonna charge me. Unless it's as bad as I told them then maybe she said they could credit me some of it back. Unfortunately, I will just have to deal with it for atleast one night. I reserved it on Priceline.com

Thank You! You were very helpful

Stikgirl