We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rush hour traffic

1 post
Rush hour traffic

Hello! Just curious how bad rush hour traffic is? Are there certain times/roads where it is worse? Thanks! Will be traveling through Charlotte on a Monday morning.

22 replies to this topic
Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
596 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Rush hour traffic

If its before 10 id say take I-485 around. Where are you coming from and going?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Rush hour traffic

Depends on your route. I-77 is a nightmare and should be avoided at all costs during the peak hours.

If that's your time frame, then take 485 loop around the city. It's long, but at least it's normally moving, although the bottom half of the loop (Independence to Pineville Matthews Rd) does slow down tremendously.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
167 reviews
3. Re: Rush hour traffic

Are you coming from the east and heading west? North heading south? or other ways? It make a difference. For example, coming from Gastonia into Charlotte on I-85, morning is horrible from about 7:30 am to about 9:30 am. But going form Charlotte to Gastonia in the morning is fine. I-485 can be good- especially to avoid I-77, provided there isn't an accident anywhere. And certain areas of it range from just about bad to horrible almost any time of day- unless you know which lanes to avoid. It would all depend on which part of I-485 you needed to use.

We need more details to give you real help.

1 post
1 review
4. Re: Rush hour traffic

going south on I77 to FL

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
596 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Rush hour traffic

i would make sure i was heading south early. take 485 outer around towards pineville and catch 77 again on the south side.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
192 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Rush hour traffic

I agree, take 485 around the airport. I-77 is a parking lot. it will start around Statesville and will not relent until around Rock Hill.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
134 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Rush hour traffic

I agree. Absolutely do not take I-77 south through Charlotte on a weekday between 7-9 am. After 9 am would be fine. The suggestion to take the I-485 loop is a good one. There is a lot of construction on I-77 between downtown and Mooresville added to the regular awful morning rush.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
227 reviews
8. Re: Rush hour traffic

You should stay out of uptown Charlotte during the beginning (5am-9pm) and end (4pm-7pm) if you're driving. If there's a major sporting event such as Panthers' playing, you should stay out of there, unless you're planning to watch the game.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Rush hour traffic

The original post was from June 2016....they're probably out of traffic by now.

Well, maybe. I-77 is pretty bad.

1 post
1 review
10. Re: Rush hour traffic

I'm leaving tomorrow from Kannapolis heading to Florida at 6am am I going to hit traffic?

Reply to: Rush hour traffic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted