We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gem Mining

Which Cherokee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntertown, Indiana
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gem Mining

I will be in the Smokies the first week of April '08. Was wondering where to find the best gem mine. Would like to actually go in a mine and get the dirt/rock. Not sure if it is actually done like that - any info would be helpful..

Thanks

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gem Mining

We have done a couple in Franklin with real dirt and rocks from the mountain. If you have kids you can go the Gold Mine there in Cherokee and get the salted stuff with a mix of native and nonnative gems. People routinely dig nice ruby and saphires out of the native mines in Franklin. My sister is really into this and I wish I could tell you exactly where we went. I live here and I would suggest looking up gem mines in Franklin on the web.

Kids do not really care if it is native or not, at least mine do not.

Enjoy your trip to the Smokies.

2. Re: Gem Mining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Cherokee
Recent Conversations