We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

Nashville, Tn
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

With I40 closed and most likely 441 closed what is the best way to get there. We have reservations this weekend but with the forecast who knows. Thanks for any advice!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

Wow you have a big problem!. I would cancel.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

From Harrah's website:

"Motorists traveling eastbound on I-40, from Tennessee, should take I-81 North to Kingsport-Johnson City, then I-26 East to Asheville to get back to I-40 West."

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

I agree with jaded24fan, since this weekend the area on the border of TN and NC suppose get up to 12 inches of snow. Whatever route you chose you have to drive through the mountains and unless you HAVE to go to a funeral do you really want to take chances? If you're driving from Nashville you can take route I-24 to Chattanooga from there I-75 North to Cleveland and from there a local mountainous route 64 through Murphy, Andrews. Finally through Bryson City to Cherokee. We took this route from Nashville to Andrews and then trough Franklin to Brevard but there is no way I would take route 64 or I-26 from Johnson City through Asheville if there was a chance on snow or black ice on the roads. I-26 from Johnson City to Asheville is very scenic and easy but not when is snowing. There are sections sometimes so fogged in you can hardly see 5 ft in front of you. I would never take chances to be on that road during a whiteout and it could happen when snow arrives.

Traveling from Nashville through Johnson City is almost 400 miles and it should take you about 7 hours . The route through Chattanooga is about 280 miles and it took us, if I recall correctly, no longer than 6 hours in May in a perfect weather. If you HAVE to drive have a full tank of gas, extra warm clothes, blankets, boots, thermos with hot drinks, extra food, survival kit and be prepared to be stuck somewhere on one of those roads for many hours. Personally, I too would cancel right now. If you really, really want to go then leave today and count on staying in Cherokee for a few days until roads are clear and it is safe to drive back. I trust you'll make responsible decision. Good luck!

Nashville, Tn
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

Thanks to all, we are changing the reservations for next weekend. Just do not want to risk it, after all it's not worth it to go lose your money!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

You made a right decision

< it's not worth it to go lose your money!> Believe me, you wouldn't loose my money. I have no need or desire to gamble or give my money to someone to gamble for me. I use my money for travels to many fantastic destinations instead. My 2 cents

Edited: 29 January 2010, 14:55
Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

Brad Mac had the best route that will likely be open. Forcast says, possible snow next weekend too....

7. Re: From Knoxville to Harrahs Cherokee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 07:17