We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving directions

Hilton Head, South...
1 post
Save Topic
driving directions

driving directions from Hilton Head SC

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving directions

Best bet would be I-95N to I-26W. I-26 will take you all the way to Asheville. Get on I-40W in Asheville. I-40W will take you to Canton and from there take exit 27 to HWY 19/23. On HWY 19/23 take exit 103 and that will break HWY 19 off and take you into Maggie Valley. Just take HWY 19 through Maggie Valley and over Soco Mountain until you reach Cherokee.

Good luck.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 02:42
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving directions

^ Actually it's a bit quicker if you stay on US 74 (the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway) than to take US 19 through Maggie Valley. It's a better road, so you make better time.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving directions

I've been both ways many times. The travel time difference is almost negligible, but some people may be more comfortable travelling 74, which is a 4 lane highway. US 19 is two lane with few passing opportunities. If you get caught behind a slow mover, you might have to resign yourself to a slower trip.

But there are some wonderful views on 19 between Maggie Valley and Cherokee.

Safe trip!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving directions

^ Yep, I should have mentioned there are some interesting things to see/do in Maggie Valley, so the OP may want to go that way just to take it in. But if minimum driving time is the goal, I would take the GSME.

5. Re: driving directions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:18