We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

We are a family of 10 adults + 2 kids looking to vacation in the outer banks this summer. This is our first time. What would you say the pros and cons are to Corolla vs Kill Devil Hill or Nags Head. We will be renting a house with a private pool in either location

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

Here are the pros for Corolla:

- wide, uncrowded beaches

- enough restaurants and shopping to keep everyone busy and happy

- great lighthouse to climb (Currituck Lighthouse)

- nice wildlife center and history (Whalehead Club)

- huge variety of homes to choose from in a wide variety of budgets (try Brindley Beach, Twiddy, Elan, Outer Banks Blue to name a few)

- other entertainment - movie theater, go carts, mini golf, surfing lessons, wild hourse tours, kayaking, nature trail, crabbing on the sound

- can still get to Jockeys Ridge, The Lost Colony, Wright Brothers Memorial, Elizabethan Gardens, the Aquarium and Manteo without a problem

Here are the cons:

- traffic, if you are traveling up Route 12 through Duck at peak times in the summer season (that would be Saturday and Sunday from about 11am - 4pm)

I know others can fill in with info on KDH and Nags Head.

WV
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

HI, I wrote about kill devil hills on your other post! Have fun! It is wonderful in the OBX no matter where you stay.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
425 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

Kill Devil Hills is right in the heart of the Outer Banks. It is great for access to the most restaurants, entertainment, shopping. That will make it a very busy area in the summer. Northern Nags Head (starts around MP 10?) is a the continuation of the island south from Kill Devil Hills, but starting to get out of being right in the middle of things. South Nags Head starts at MP16. It has its own road and has no commercial business. Closer than the rest to Hatteras, Manteo, and Oregon Inlet. Much quieter. You will have much better access to the assortment of activities and food if you stay in any of these areas than you will in Corolla. If you just want to hang out at the house and beach, then Corolla would be a good choice.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

I like the northern OBX better because they aren't as crowded or as touristy. The houses in KDH and NH are getting bigger and bigger and the area has a lot of traffic. I think that part of getting away to the beach is leaving the rat race behind and Corolla is perfect.

I have a vacation home in Currituck Club - most of the rental houses there have 4 or 5 master bedrooms plus a kids room(two bunks). They are on the golf course and soundfront across from the beach. My teen daughter and her friends find that they get up here and get so busy they rarely make it down to KDH and NH though every year they swear they are going to go down there more. I like having them here because traffic is lighter. Definitely get the private pool - it gets used ALOT - especially in the evenings - the hot tub also is a great amenity. Look for homes with pool tables, foosball, etc.

Another great realty firm is Village Realty. They have homes in both NH and Corolla and have been around a long time. Have fun!!!

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

I have to agree that the northern OBX is better. I went there for the first time last year (Whalehead Beach in Corolla) and fell in love with it! After exploring other parts of the OBX I was very glad that I picked Corolla. I'm used to Cape Cod where the protected areas are not over-developed and this fit the bill.Duck and KDH are just too congested for my taste. In Corolla the beaches are wide, beautiful and relatively uncrowded. I recommend Beach Realty (kittyhawk rentals) they seemed to have some of the most reasonably priced rentals. A couple of tips, prices start to go way down starting the third week of August and book early to get the best house for the money.

I already booked for next summer and I can’t wait!

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

One other thing I forgot. If you can find a Sunday-Sunday rental, you'll cut down on the traffic quite a bit. Last year there was very little.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

Obviously any place in OBX is gonna be an amazing time...but if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle and really want to enjoy time spent with your group than Corolla is the way to go. Everything from shopping, dining and entertainment is all located in the Timbucks, Corolla Plaza or Monteray plaza. The beach is very private compared to KH, KDH, and NH. depending on where your house is in Corolla you can probably ride your bike to the lighthouse and the attractions located next to it. In addition, the 4WD beach is right next to Corolla and that is always a blast plus you might even see the wild horses! All in all, Corolla is the best beach to really experience OBX and enjoy time with friends and family! Hope that helps a little

MD
Level Contributor
743 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

All great advice. My # 1 reason for Corolla being the best is the beach itself. It has the widest beach, the softest sand, the best shells, and the slope into the water is much gentler and kid-friendly than the Duck or KDH beaches by far.

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

We've stayed in South Nags Head, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Ocean Sands and this year we'll be on Pine Island - we prefer the northern beaches for the reasons already given.

And The Currituck Club is a great golf course, but it's getting pricey - but what isn't. I've also played golf at The Pointe in Grandy before you get to the Wright Bros. Memorial Bridge. I enjoy that as well.

We've never gotten a private pool since we usually stay close to the Ocean, but they are very nice to have - especially at night.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corolla vs Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head

We just got back from Corolla and had a wonderful time. We rented from Beach Realty and they were great. We had access to the Corolla Light amenenties and were able to use the trolley. We had a private pool (though pretty small) and a hot tub. The ocean was beautiful, clean & clear. The sand on the beach was great. We took the wild horse tour, which was a lot of fun. We had plans to go to Manteo for a day, but didn't make it. It was very relaxing. We stayed on the sound side, but were only about 500 yards from the ocean. We were about 100 feet from the sound. The sunsets were awesome. We did a pirate treasure hunt for the kids and it was really fun. Also, we went ghost crab hunting one night about 10 P.M. That was fun, but it's dark up there, as there are no big city lights. We can't wait to return to Corolla.

Get answers to your questions about Corolla
Recent Conversations