We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in Whalehead

Corolla NC
6 posts
Save Topic
Vacation in Whalehead

I have rented a house in the Whalehead community this summer the second week in June. I have never been to Corolla only Nags Head. Would anyone be able to tell me what the beach is like in this area. I know the beach in Nags Head is beautiful and I was wondering if the beach was just as nice here? Will we be swimming in the sound or the ocean? Again sorry I am not that educated about this area. Is there a great deal to do besides just going to the beach? Thanks for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

Check out the obxconnection.com site. Lots of newbies on there with questions and lots of experienced people with answers. Let us know how your trip goes.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

The beaches in Whalehead are great. If your house is oceanfront, you are just a walk over the dune to the wide beach. If you house is oceanside, you will have a short walk.

Depending on where your house is located, you could possibly walk to either the shops and restaurants in the Monteray Plaza and Timbuk II areas or in the Corolla Light Shops. If the house isn't close to the ends of Whalehead, you are not more than a 2 minute drive to both shopping/dining areas.

You have two grocery options here. Harris Teeter (a few miles south located in front of the Currituck Club) or Food Lion (located right in Whalehead).

Within minutes of this area you can climb the Currituck Lighthouse, wisit the historic Whalehead Club, crab on the sound, fish in the surf, golf, minigolf, drive go-carts, take surfing lessons, your the 4x4 area and see the wild horses.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer.

Mentioned in this post
Currituck Club
Currituck Club
98 Reviews
Corolla, NC
Corolla NC
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

Thank you so much for your information it really helps. I still have one question are we on the sound at the beach or the ocean? Maybe this question doesn't make sense. Just let me know.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

The sound side is anything on the west side of Hwy 12. The beach side is anything on the east side of Hwy 12. Oceanfront is right on the ocean. From what I understand, there is no beach on the sound side in Corolla. If you have an address, you can go to google maps and click on the satellite map and actually see pictures of your house. You can zoom in and see the terrain. According to the map that I looked at, the part we are staying at is only about 1000 feet wide from sound to ocean. I think that Whalehead may be twice that wide. I've also heard and read that the beaches in Corolla are much fluffier and nicer for families. I'm sure that it's all nice, but everyone says that Corolla is beautiful. I have done google map directions from our house to the shopping areas and grocery stores and anything else that may be of interest to us from the house we are renting. I want to be as familiar with the area as I can be when we get there. Please post a trip review, with any comments, ideas, or suggestions that you may have. Be sure to tell us how much fun you had!

Corolla NC
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

Thanks for all the advice. I did google it and it is great. I called and got the address from the rental company and went right to the place on the map. I am getting so excited. Only 21 days left before vacation.

MD
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

Corolla has the best beach by far except for perhaps the beaches south of hatteras, but that's way down there and it doesn't have as much to do down there. Corolla sand is softer and the slope into the water doens't have the same drop off as in Nagshead, though that can change season by season and area by area somewhat. The only soundside access in that area is the whalehead beach club, which is open dawn to dusk and free. You, guys and you dog can wade in the water exploring, but it's not a substitute for the ocean just a few blocks east of there :-)

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

Jansami, what is the name of the house?

Corolla NC
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

Beachcomber

Corolla NC
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

I just returned on Sunday from my beach vacation and it was wonderful. We rented with outerbanks blue and I have to say just one thing the cleaning service that was used was not up to power. We spent the first couple hours there doing bed sheets so we could have clean sheets they forgot that part of the cleaning service.

Oh well all things told it was great. We had a wonderful time and everyone all 20 of us got along great together. We seen the wild horses, flew kites at Jockey Ridge sand domes and took in the outdoor drama The Last Coloney. The rest of the time was reserved for sitting on the beach soaking in the sun. An absolutely great start to the summer.

10. Re: Vacation in Whalehead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 02:20