We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about Whalehead

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me about Whalehead

where exactly is it and how are the beaches there.

I didnt like Duck's beaches- try and compare.

I keep seeing Whalehead houses available and I know nothing about it.

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Nice town. Great beach.

PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

is whalehead in Corolla?

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Perhaps I can elaborate on my previous post.

Whalehead is about 15 minutes north of Duck. When you see the Currituck lighthouse, you're close because it's across the street on the ocean side.

From Whalehead, you are only a walk away from the Currituck lighthouse, the Whalehead beach club, and the nature center, all very nice sound-side places to visit. You can crab off their docks for free. Fish the sound from their sound side dock and gazebo. Walk the park and picnic. Attend the nature programs at the center. Climb the lighthouse for the best views of the area. We love coming here in the evening to walk around and view the sunset.

You are also just a few miles from a Food Lion and Harris Teeter grocery store along with lots of shops, restaurants and things to do at Tim Buck II. If you have young kids, Tim Buck II has a go cart track, arcade, bumper cars, mini golf course, and for the older kids and adults water sports like parasailing, jet skiing and more. Some of the best restaurants there are Mike and Dianna's, Fin and Claw, and North Banks Raw Bar and Grill.

And if you miss Duck, it's only a 15 minute drive south so you can even grab those essential Duck Donuts first thing in the morning if you are so inclined (as I am :-)

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Sorry - yes, Whalehead is a community within Corolla.

PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Thank you so much- this is exactly what I am looking for. How is the beach compared to Duck. I did not like the beach in Duck at all

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Generally speaking, the beaches are 100% better up there. We've been going to the Outer Banks for the past 20 years. Most years we've spent a week in Duck and a week in Corolla - one with each side of the family. So what I'm going to say about the beaches are said from the perspective of 20 years of observation.

While some years the sand in Duck has been okay, most years we can't stand the coarse sand - hurt our feet, shifted constantly under you in the water and made it impossible to build sand castles for the kids. It also never has any shells. I mean none - the kids would wind up collecting a few rare broken pieces of shells. And the waves were breaking right on the beach with a sharp drop off as you enter the water there.

In Corolla, the sand is much softer and whiter and the distance from dune to water is much wider. Lots of shells to find too. And the sand bar tends to be far out in the water so the waves roll gently into the beach and there's no drop off as you enter. Our kids have plenty of room to play in knee deep water without fear of being swept away or knocked over by a rough wave on normal days.

Granted, beaches change all of the time. And storms come through that create rough surf no matter where you are. I have read that the fall storms have done some damage to Corolla beaches this year even exposing some ship wrecks that were buried there. Of course, the winter and spring will frequently replenish the beaches in that area so it may be back to normal by summer.

PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

sounds awesome - thank you so much. I think we will love it. now to find a house there.

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

If you can't find what you want in Whalehead, try Pine Island and/or Ocean Sands. Both are between Duck and Whalehead - both have great beaches. Ocean Sands is a bit older and has a wider selection of house styles/prices. Pine Island is more upscale than Ocean Sands.

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Good advice. We stay in Ocean Sands because they have more homes in our somewhat humble price range and lots of homes that allow dogs.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell me about Whalehead

Marylander is correct about the ability to walk to some of the things listed, IF you are in the northern section of Whalehead. As stated earlier, Whalehead is a section of Corolla. It encompasses an area about 3 miles long on the ocean side of Route 12. Basically it is 3 roads that run parallel to the ocean, with many streets intersecting them east to west. The lots are large and the houses vary from 3 bedroom homes to very large houses with 10 bedrooms. There are just a few parking areas for those folks who come from the sound side of Route 12 in that area.

The beaches here are nice and wide. The area is close enough to walk to the grocery staore and shopping (if you are on the southern end) or the lighthouse and sites (if you are on the northern end. Either way, you are close to many things.

Get answers to your questions about Corolla
Recent Conversations