We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See wild horses by foot?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
See wild horses by foot?

We're renting a house in Whalehead in June, and would love to go see the wild horses on the 4x4 beaches, but didn't really want to have to rent a jeep. I know the road ends beyond Corolla Village. Would it be possible to get to where the horses are on foot from parking there? My husband and I both run, so if it's a couple miles out, that would be no problem. Thanks for the help!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See wild horses by foot?

They move around a lot so you might have a chance , but taking a vehicle will better that chance they are not always on the beach usually back in between the homes over the dunes there are also tours that will take you if you interested in that

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: See wild horses by foot?

The nonprofit Corolla Wild Horse Fund is the organization that is responsible for the care and management of the wild horses. We offer a "Trip of a Lifetime." All proceeds go back to benefit the care and management of the horses as it is a benefit of membership. Members have an opportunity to ride along with the Herd Manager as he conducts his daily duties of observation and documentation. This is an incredible learning experience and is not creating an additional vehicle on the beach because he is conducting his normal daily activities. The trip is up to 4 hours and is conducted in an air conditioned GM Yukon. http://www.corollawildhorses.org Click on Trip of a Lifetime.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See wild horses by foot?

I usually see them 8 or more miles north of the cattle guard. There are tour operators who take folks up to see the wild horses in a Suburban or Tahoe. I think that is the best way to see the horses, and the guides are great. You'll learn a lot.

The tour guides know where to find the horses, as does the herd manager, of course. We went the Friday after Thanksgiving, and despite the best efforts of the guide, we saw just 3 horses.

4. Re: See wild horses by foot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:17