We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Are there times to avoid arriving in Corolla? Can there be traffic jams?

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

During summer it can be very difficult on Saturday afternoons - even before you get to the WBM Bridge. Sundays are usually no problem. And after Labor Day there is usually no problem.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Your best bet is to avoid travel on Saturday.

If option #1 above is not possible then earlier is better than later but find something to do and don't sit in the rental office waiting, it does not make us get you in earlier.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
280 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Most rental companies and communities in Corolla will allow you to use their pools and facilities if you arrive early. There are usually families who arrive early on their check in day and just pack a separate bag for the beach or the pool to kill time. PIne Island, Corolla Light, and Monteray Shores have pools with showers and kids activities to keep you occupied. Ask your rental agent ahead of time so that they can send you a pool pass.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Plan to cross the Wright Memorial Bridge before 11am or after 4pm. There are many things to do in Corolla while you wait for check-in time on a Saturday.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

ditto

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Although traffic is lighter on Sunday, many Corolla homes rent Sunday to Sunday so they are also heavy traffic days. Saturday is the worst, but try to get here early and go to the beach, or get the shopping done early, and then go check-in.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

The traffic today, the Saturday at the start of 4th of July week, was absolutely shocking. We left Arlington VA at 6:45 AM, made it to I-295 in Richmond in 1 hour 45 minutes, hit moderate traffic along I-64, and were south of the I-664 tunnel by about 10:30 AM. It then took us almost 4 hours to go the last 80 miles to Corolla, including almost an hour to go the five miles from Kitty Hawk to Duck. So a mapquest estimated drive of 5:23 minutes took a hair under 8 hours.

We had family who left Loudoun County at 10 AM, and came down via Route 17, arriving at Corolla Light after 9 PM. Yes they made several stops, but their best estimate was 9.5 hours of actual drive time on a mapquest estimated route of 6 hours.

I knew it was going to be bad, but the last two hours of 15 mph or less had me ready to turn around and go home.

At least Corolla Light seems to be as nice as advertised.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

As we checked in renters yesterday (Saturday) we would watch the DOT traffic cameras to see the backup start. At 11am the bridge was backed up across to Currituck county. By 1 pm it was backed up to Grandy - 20 miles!!

One person told me she left Elizabeth City and it took 3 hours to get here, that trip normally takes just over 1 hour.

Today (Sunday) there will be hardly any traffic, I wonder why people come on Saturdays over Sundays.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

Just came back from Ocracoke yesterday about noonish. Traffic was in a total stanstill southbound 10 miles BEFORE the Wright Memorial Bridge. Traffic was stop and go all the way to Chesapeake Virginia.

Yes this is a holiday weekend, but as noted your best bet is to get to the bridge before 10, then hang out, eat lunch or shopping until you check in.

If this is not poosible consider spending the night in Chesapeake or Va Beach and head out early in the morning.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic jam heading into Corolla?

I am heading to Duck the first week of October for my 13th trip to the OBX. It is the latest we have traveled there, as we usually go mid to late September.

Made a mistake once, traveling there Memorial Day week once. LOL, that will be the last time. The traffic was horendous. Never had traffic probs in early fall.