We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

We are driving from Pgh, PA to Corolla and would like to break the trip up in two (does not have to be equal distance). This is our first time visiting the Outer Banks and friends have told us that we need to cross the bridge by 10 am or there is a lot of traffic. So, my question is, does anyone break up the trip and where would you recommend staying (somewhere in Virginia)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

Tell us more, your friends are likely wrong about 10am. It does depend when you are coming. Late June, around the 30th, to mid August on Saturdays are bad on the bridge. Getting there by noon is the goal, not 10am. If you come on a Sunday there is not a problem. If you come in June before the 30th and on a Saturday, then get there by 2pm.

richmond
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

Getting over the bridge in peak may be okay at noon, getting up to Duck is another story. IMO. Do you all get up early? Then I would stay north of Richmond and then get an early start. Take 295 to 95 and then 460. No tunnels and lots of places to stop. Plan on a picnic at the Whalehead Club. You can also play on the swings at Timbucktoo. Also the town of Duck has a kids park and great sound front park and lots of places to eat. One of my favorites is Coastal Cravings in Duck for casual and family friendly.

richmond
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

Oops stay on 295 till 460

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

I second the advice to go 295 to 460...

Calm quiet ride through Virginia Peanut Country.

Stop in for a bite at the Virginia Diner in Wakefield...

They are open 6 am - 9 pm serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Good Virginia Country Cookin'!

The Peanut Butter Silk Pie is to DIE FOR!

Have a great trip!

Youngstown
Level Contributor
94 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

I'd agree on the staying north of Richmond. We drive down from the Youngstown OH area and that is where we always stop for the night if we don't just drive it straight. We have always gone in May or September and never had a traffic problem on the bridge. Doing 2nd weekend in June this year and planning on getting there in the morning since we have early check in.

6. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 April 2012, 02:05
West Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

Last time we stayed in Ashland,VA, just North of Richmond. There's a Holiday Inn Express & Suites RIGHT off the interstate. Worked out great. Made it to Corolla by noon with no traffic jams. Also, I assume you'll go across I-68 and then turn south. We went through Frederick, MD and around DC once... what a nightmare! The next time we turned off I-68 at Hancock, MD, went South through Winchester, VA and continued from there. Great route for small kids (we have 3). There's a state park around Berkeley Springs, WV and a couple playgrounds along the route, so everyone can burn off some pent up energy :) Good luck!

8. Re: Driving to Corolla from Pittsburgh with 2 small children...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:40