We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Hi all. My family and I are renting a house June 29 - July 7th in Corolla. We can't wait. I have been reading this forum and doing internet research but would love some tips from my Tripadvisor amigos.

We driving from NYC to Alexandria, VA the day before to split the tip up. I have been reading about nightmarish traffic, it is about a 5-6 hour drive from VA. Thoughts on leaving at around 4am? We are travelling with a 7 month old who isn't great on long drives, wish us luck.

It seems Corolla is a smaller area than some of the other OBX towns. Are there any bar/restaurant suggestions, 1. for a big family dinner, and 2. for the youngins to go out and have a drink one night?

We are excited to go on a hike in the preserve and see some wild horses. Any tips?

I have heard there is great fishing in OBX. My wife has find memories of fishing with her dad, and it would be great if they could do it again. Tips?

There is a lighthouse nearby, I believe. We'll like to see that.

Looks like the closest big town to us is Duck, where we will probably go once for a day or for dinner. Is that a worthwhile trip from Corolla?

We will be going to the beach every day, playing games in the house, cooking, etc. Is there anything else in Corolla or nearby we absolutely must do? Avoid?

Thoughts on those 4 wheeling tours on the sand... are they worth it?Any good companies?

Thanks for whatever help/advice/caveats you are willing to provide!

John

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

The trip from Alexandria to the Wright Brothers Mem Bridge normally would take about 4.5 to 5 hours depending on where in Northern Va you are. There is no need to arrive at the bridge at 9am, but I would be there before 12 noon and 11am would not be a bad idea, so leave around 6am. Around 1pm the bridge traffic should be building up and back ups 5-10 miles are possible by 2-5pm that time of year.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Thank you! Thanks to you I will get a few more hours of sleep :)

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Corolla has many restaurants. Some of our favorites are Route 12, Nor'Banks, First Light, Lighthouse Bagels, Cosmos Pizza. For a Sports Bar, Sundogs is the place. Dr. Unks in the Tomato Patch restaurant is also a bar scene.

The lighthouse is a great climb. Terrific views.

Hike through the Equestrian Preserve, or out to the sound or around the Whalehead Club (a historic home and property).

Take a tour of the 4x4 area where the horses roam freely. Several tour companies offer these, as well as kayaking tours.

There are also three mini golf courses in Corolla.

Duck does offer more restaurants and shopping.

While I am not a fisherman, I believe you will need to get a license to surf fish. These are available at any tackle shop. You can also get gear and bait for crabbing.

Have an awesome time.

Farmington...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

We were in Corolla last summer and loved it! No real ideas about fishing but as far as the 4X4 tours, we went on a sunset jeep tour with Rick's Jeep Adventures and it was the highlight of our trip. Going at sunset was key, because it had gotten a little cooler--but bring a sweatshirt. The guides were really good and you are able to drive your own jeep if you want. It was load of fun. Have a great vacation.

richmond
Level Contributor
913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Unless you want to or need to be in aAlexandria I would come down through the Eastern Shore and bypass all the nightmare traffic and take CBBT and stay in Salisbury overnight. Obx200 no offense on your great advice, but I would be over the bridge before 9 if I was going to Corolla. That is peak season and they are cracking down on out of state tags on Dogwood. IMO. To the OP bring a blanket and have a picnic at the Whalehead Club.You can pick up subs at the Harris Teeter grocery on the way up to Corolla. I know the realtors don't like people being so early so we never went to get the keys or try to check in before 1. Also check in advance with your realtor and see if they have early check in for a fee. I would rather be there with a 7 month old than stuck in traffic.

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Not a ton of advice, but you made a good choice--Corolla is my absolute favorite part of the OBX! Just spent a week there at the end of May! It's quieter, but there's definitely lots of spots for meals.

We love Fat Crab's, but it's small, so grab a steamer pot and cook at your house. We like Lighthouse Bagels and Outer Banks Coffee for quick breakfasts and coffee too.

The Currituck Lighthouse is a nice attraction.

We drove to Roanoke Island to visit the aquarium this time and it was a nice day trip.

Yes, the bridge traffic can be bad, I think between 2 and 4 is the worst. If you cross before 2pm, you should be fine. This past trip, we crossed the bridge at 5pm and there was NO traffic! It was May 26 though and not really prime season yet...

7. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 00:43
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Wow thank you all so much!

Anybody have any idea if there are fishing trips other than charters, which might be a little expensive for us? Bigger boats for bigger groups of fishers? A more affordable option that $400 to charter a boat?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Thanks, PGHPEOPLE... whatis CBBT? Eastern shore?

Edit - looked at a map and figured it out. It is a

Edited: 14 June 2012, 15:02
richmond
Level Contributor
913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time OBX trip (Corolla) - Suggestions?

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel