We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic on Saturday

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic on Saturday

After last year's Saturday traffic experience, we're trying to cross the bridge this year before the traffic becomes bumper to bumper. We're staying in Grandy Friday night so we'll only have a short drive Saturday morning. Based on your experiences, around what time does it really start to get crowded? If we cross around 10 am do you think it will be very busy? Any suggestions for spending the afternoon in Corolla before we can get into our house?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic on Saturday

Before 10 a.m. Should be fine.

Things to do: go to beach. Play miniature golf - Corolla has a new big one that was to open in June. play a round of golf at Currituck Club. Where are you staying? Some homes have membership at Pine Island Club and guests love to spend the day there. Take a jeep tour to see the horses north of Corolla. Start your vacation with a spa visit. Check with your rental company - many will send you a list of ideas and discount coupons. Have fun.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic on Saturday

Traffic was building up at 11am yesterday but did not get really bad until 11:30 to noon. There was a wreck with entrapment just at the end of the bridge (how do cars moving at a snails pass have a wreck) at 4pm which made the lines go back for miles. At 8pm the bridge was still backed up. You can watch and see before you leave and on the way from a smart phone. Go to:

www.trafficland.com/city/OBX/index.html

BTW, no traffic on Sunday's.

Mansfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic on Saturday

agree with suggestion to get on island early and take a tour to see the horses. Make a reservation before you go as they fill up very quickly. You can also go up the lighthouse, I think it is $6 or 7 per person. The grocery store isn't too busy on Sunday am early so I would recommend going then. Outer Banks brewing company is a nice place for lunch while waiting to check in, and they have a play area in back for kiddos that is nice. You could also drive to Nags Head and take a dolphin watch tour, will have some traffic driving back though. Good luck and have a terrific time!

Herndon, Va.
Level Contributor
23 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic on Saturday

My son had to work on the weekend, so we left for the beach on Monday morning, and I would consider doing that again!! No traffic. We were going the speed limit the whole way...no bridge backup. No problems. Now that is the way to start a week!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
276 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic on Saturday

My trip in on Saturday, July 7th was a nightmare. I arrived 2hrs later than my anticipated arrival time (according to my GPA) on my trip to Corolla. This was at 3pm. On my way out at 10am on the 14th, traffic was heavy, but moving on the bridge. I'd say the backup began at least 15 miles farther along than it had at 3pm. My delay probably would have been in the neighborhood of 45 minutes. I'd say the best bet is to get over the bridge by noon (or earlier).

6. Re: Traffic on Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Corolla
Recent Conversations