We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

Virginia
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

My family rented a house in Whalehead on the oceanfront the week of 8/11 – 8/18/2012. We purposely rented a house quite a few lots away from the public access because we like being away from crowds. Part of the joy of being oceanfront is enjoying the beach without having big groups “park” in front of you or all around you. The openness of the beach is one of the main reasons we go to Whalehead and we purposely stay away from the public accesses.

Halfway through our week, there was trouble in paradise. Corolla Surf Shop decided that the beach in front of our house and the house next to ours was the perfect spot for their surf lesson school. For the last three days of our vacation, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., the ocean and beach in front of our house was completely taken over by two dozen surf students and their many family members taking pictures and setting up camp.

I don’t mind sharing the beach and ocean with people who are thoughtful and have decent beach etiquette. But the surf school completely took over from the dune to beyond the breakers for at least 100 yards north and south. You could not get in the water in this area because the surf boards were everywhere and none of them had command of their boards. The family next to us had small children and the children could not even get in the edge of the water because of the boards. The surf student families came and set down in front of us and all around us – leaving their towels and stuff under our shade canopy and using our chairs if we weren’t in them at the time.

The surf instructors had great people skills. We know because we spent three days watching them. They could have easily handled this situation differently. At the very least, they could have reminded the students and families that they were just “borrowing” the nice location for a few hours, and to be considerate of the other beach goers. They could have moved a little farther north and had virtually no impact on existing beach goers. They could have worked with us and our neighbors a little bit to try and eased our frustration.

I understand that the surf school needs to be somewhere. I also understand that the Corolla Surf Shop is making good money from the students and they don’t care about our beach experience. I would not have minded one day of inconvenience. I could have made the most of the entertainment and gotten over it. But day after day after day was just too much. I would have discussed the situation with the lifeguards but it was obvious that the surf instructors and lifeguards were good friends. My solution would have been to move to a new spot each day. That way the frustration of the house renters is minimized, and the surf school can still get away from the busy public accesses.

The surf instructors could have tried various options but they just didn’t bother. They should be teaching beach and ocean etiquette along with their surfing.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

I would argue that they didn't know they were disturbing you, because you didn't speak up. I doubt they were purposefully trying to wreck your vacation. Situations appear different from each perspective, so if something is bothering you, let them know.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

Oh, man, packed in front of the house from the dunes out and a football field north and a football field south? They'd have to be crazy if they thought people paying the price for those houses wouldn't mind. And I have been in crowded situations like on July 4th. I've told people to stand on my blanket a while when they forgot the sand would be hot on bare fit. I've offered a chair to rest when they carried children. I've also told them to get off my blanket and out of my chairs when there was no reason for them to be there.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

It must have been very frustrating for you and I sympathize. I get just as annoyed when someone with a loud radio or a cigarette sits near me. Generally, I just move to another location.

But, this is what public beaches are all about and I am glad we have them. My guess is that that they wanted to be near the lifeguard--not so much your house. I don't see how they could have moved to a new spot every day--it's probable that it was a week long camp and they needed to keep the location consistent. Or perhaps they advertise that location. Just some thoughts.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

Definitely something to consider when renting...delving into how the beach will be used during one's stay, particularly when staying at a home so close to the sand.

5. Re: Bad Experience with Corolla Surf Shop Surfing Lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 10:16