We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kill Devil Hills, NC

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport, RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kill Devil Hills, NC

We've just booked a house through Carolina Designs -- The Gardenia House -- in Kill Devil Hills, NC, for our 30-person family reunion next July. I had hoped to be in Corolla, but the house in Kil Devil hills is on the ocean and seems nice.

Does anyone have any experience with this house or the others owned by the same person -- Magnolia, Wisteria and Mimosa House?

Any thoughts on Kill Devil Hills itself?

And what do we do to minimize problems with the traffic, which I hear is awful? Our rental is Sat - Sat.

Thanks!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

Hi kaki57! I am not trying to talk you out of Kill Devil Hills. We have stayed there many times. At MP9, you are close to shops and restaurants that are within walking range, which would help minimize the car and traffic situation.

However, if Corolla is where you would prefer staying, there will certainly be homes in Corolla oceanfront available to rent, especially so far in advance. Most realtors will not list availabilities for next year until the January time frame. However, you can call them directly to find out if a home is available next July and pay an advance fee if you want to rent it. The only road block there would be for the time frame immediately preceding today's date and following dates in July. The current renters would get priority and a chance to rebook for the same time next year.

I did take a look at your home, The Gardenia House, and it is lovely. You certainly have every amenity and then some!

As far as the traffic is concerned. It is at its peak on the weekends. I live in a heavy traffic area, so it is not too daunting for me. We always try for a very early arrival and exit.

Perhaps someone else responding will have direct experience with your home or others that you mentioned.

Wherever you end up, I hope your family reunion at the Outer Banks is great!

MB

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

There is no reason for you to settle. There are many homes like you want....and many good rental companies.

Look up resortquest.com, corollaclassicvacations.com, villagerealtyobx.com and brindleybeach.com We and many friends have been happy with all of them.

There are many many enormous beautiful homes right on the ocean in Corolla and, in high spots in The Currituck Club, while not on the ocean they have magnificent views of the ocean and sound....some with tons of bedrooms all with private bathrooms, home theaters, pools, etc., which can help.

Corolla is a different kind of place and if you want it, that is what you should have if at all possible.

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

Thanks for your responses. While I've never been to the Outer Banks, I'm sure our house in Kill Devil Hills will be wonderful. I guess I was just hoping for a spot with a little more "breathing room."

Our house is right on the beach -- a pre-requisite for our crowd -- but seems quite close to the adjacent houses. If we did not have the partriarch of the family, my father (who will be 80 next summer), with us, we would have gone for one of the big houses on the 4X4 beaches. We're all more inclined to go for a great spot on the beach, with less crowds, than a place that is "in the thick of it."

However, we will likely stick with the house we've just put a "hold" on, but I will check with Resort Quest and the others you all mentioned. We'd also looked with Twiddy, and while they had some great properties, we couldn't get them -- the tenants just keep renewing, so it is very difficult to get your foot in the door and book for the next year.

I'm wondering if it is worth it to book a hotel on the Outer Banks for the Friday night (our rental house is available on Saturday) to avoid the Saturday morning traffic snarls getting on to the Banks...or is Friday afternoon just as bad? Does anyone have any insight on that?

Thank you!! I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and comments.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

Kaki, have you considered renting two smaller homes instead of one? Just a suggestion, but I have known of several families that have done this instead. Other things, if you have not already looked into them, are amenities like community pools, tennis courts, jogging and bike trails, indoor sports centers, and community activities for the kids. Some homes offer none of these and others may be in communities where all are offered. Lots to think about!

It sounds like a quieter area is what you are looking for and that would be Corolla, or possibly south Nags Head, which is mostly residential.

Explorer3 listed some good realtors and I see you have already tried Twiddy. Another one to check is Sun Realty.

As far as coming down on Friday, that may offer you some advantage over dealing with the Saturday traffic and you may also get a head start on the grocery shoppers.

Planning a vacation is a challenge sometimes but I am sure it will be well worth it come next July!

MB

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

You can go quite far up and have quite a bit more space without going to the 4X4 areas so keep on looking. As a pleasant break, try the user friendly corollaclassicvacations.com. The first page tells you you can search by clicking on maps (in blue). Then click on the top section of the map and see what they have. It's all the more user friendly since you have everything on one page and don't have to go to page after page for rates. Then click for availability and you'll get their monthly calendars. For example CV2, with sea oats and dunes between house and beach for the feeling of more space, is available June and second half July '07. Maybe the natural grasses will make you feel you have more room. Not that I'm recommending CV2, though, because it won't take your size group in one house. Let us know how it goes.

kwm
Va
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

The Saturday traffic is awful. If you can get a hotel room for one night during high season it may be worth the added expense. However, I am not sure you will be able to find a room in July for Friday only. Another possibility is to arrive very early Saturday. You will then be able to shop, get a feel for the location, and most importantly miss the backup on the bridge that occurs every Saturday afternoon :)

Also, I have not rented through Carolina Designs; however, I do know other realty companies will begin check in at 3 pm - not the advertised 4 pm.

Have a wonderful time. If you have 4x4 try and make it down to Oregon Inlet and drive on the beach. Our kids love it!

Hope this helps.

kwm
Va
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

The Saturday traffic is awful. If you can get a hotel room for one night during high season it may be worth the added expense. However, I am not sure you will be able to find a room in July for Friday only. Another possibility is to arrive very early Saturday. You will then be able to shop, get a feel for the location, and most importantly miss the backup on the bridge that occurs every Saturday afternoon :)

Also, I have not rented through Carolina Designs; however, I do know other realty companies will begin check in at 3 pm - not the advertised 4 pm.

Have a wonderful time. If you have 4x4 try and make it down to Oregon Inlet and drive on the beach. Our kids love it!

Hope this helps.

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that trying to book for just one night would be difficult (two-night minium on summer weekends, most likely). We may look for a hotel a short drive from the OBX for that Friday night so that we can do a short drive and get there very early on that Sat. a.m.

Will also hold onto your recommendation for Oregon Inlet -- I'm sure at least a couple of our cars will be 4x4.

Any thoughts on where to take kids (older -- 7 and up) for a good meal? We'll be doing most of the cooking at home, but I'm still looking for suggestions about local restaurants, for breakfast, lunch of dinner!

Many thanks!

kwm
Va
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

The Flying Fish Cafe is excellent. It has been featured on Food Network. I would make reservations in advance.

In Duck, the Red Sky Cafe is also a great choice. My 10 yr old is in love with their chicken fingers. We have had both lunch and dinner here....always good. Again, make reservations for dinner.

For your Friday night stay, if you wanted a "side" vacation a day and night in Williamsburg would be nice. You could tour colonial Williamsburg or take the kids to Water Country or Busch Gardens. This will leave you with a drive of approximately 2.5 to 3 hours - depending on traffic. And fare warning, traffic from Williamsburg south can be fierce.

Closer to OBX (but without the added attractions) try Chesapeake, specifically the Great Bridge/Greenbrier area.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will post with more/better recommendations.

SC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kill Devil Hills, NC

Try BrindleyBeach or Corolla Classic. I would stay away from Resort Quest.