We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

Marlton, NJ
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

I've heard areas/homes w/priv well water often are not necessarily ideal for drinking/cooking and that it could discolor clothes in wash. Never having experienced well water I thought I would check. Is this true?

If so, any advice as to areas to avoid? Areas that are municipal water w/o question?

Particularly, I've heard to watch out for Whalehead, Monteray Shores and parts of Ocean Sands.

Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

Have never had trouble with the laundry at Currituck Club and Corolla Light Resort (another one you should check out while you're there because it's soooo handy for children...check out the other forum posts...wonderful toddlers pool with fence and real deck and real grownup lounges so you're not cramped, etc.) Anyhow, never trouble with the water at either place. The thing is, without good treatment it can be salty. Even some places have salty ice cubes so one restaurant we just ordered sodas out of the fridge evntually when their water and soda with ice were tasting salty. Most restaurants don't have that issue. I forget exactly, but I think the high end houses in CC do something good with their water. In any event, we've done tons of laundry there and had no trouble.

You'll have a great time. Families who go the same week every year wind up with their "Corolla friends" and the kids remember the other kids from that week and look forward to seeing them. A wonderful family place. Remember lots of pictures, binoculars, a good strong kite for the great beach breeze in the evening, lots of lotion.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

Well water does have a salty/sulfery smell and taste. I've never had it discolor my clothes. Many, many houses of all types and in all areas are now hooking up to the municipal water (my Whalehead house included) and it's great! Call your rental company regarding the status of your house (often it's printed in the guide or on the website). If it's well, bring bottled water -- which is what everyone did up until last summer.

Some restaurants (the Timbuck II shopping center comes to mind) are still not hooked up. Ask your waiter and then avoid iced tea and water if necessary.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

Yes, it was in Timbuck II someplace we got the 'salty' water and cubes.

Marlton, NJ
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

Thanks for your advice! I never would have thought about the iced tea thing, maybe the ice cubes, but not the iced tea.

Again, I appreciate all the insight. I'll be sure to check with whichever realtor/owner we contact.

Can't wait to make our own "Corolla friends"!

5. Re: Well vs Muni Water -- Please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 09:16