We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corolla Traffic in July

2 posts
Save Topic
Corolla Traffic in July

We are all set to go to Corolla this Saturday July 19th. Traveling from Alexandria, VA. We heard traffic was REALLY bad getting down there this past weekend. Any suggestions as to what time we should plan on getting to the island before traffic gets horrible? We are traveling with a 3 year old and an 8 month old and are trying to avoid as much traffic as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

Traffic tends to stay backed up from 930ish am to 430ish pm. I would either come down early or wait till later in the day to leave. The only negative thing about leaving early is you will have to find something to do until you are able to check-in to your home. Some rental companies have an early check-in option. I might call and see if you are able to add this on.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

Thank you!!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

The good news is that you are not going to any island unless you go somewhere other than around here. Hatteras and Manteo are islands but not Kitty Hawk, Duck or Corolla, that is one big peninsula from Virgina down to here.

Saturday traffic is bad starting on rt 12 north to Duck by 9am and then it backs up over the bridge by 10-11am and just gets worse. Come early and plan to do something for hours or come late if it is a Saturday.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

The usual online Mario directions well tell you to take 95 south to 295 south around Richmond to 64 east, them thru one of the bridge tunnels to Norfolk, then Chesapeake, then on to NC. We live between Richmond and Williamsburg and stay off 64 on weekends because of beach traffic.

Instead, take 295 south to 460 east and get to Chesapeake that way, it will save you the aggravation of the stop and go traffic on 64 which is bad all day long on weekends. People traveling to Busch gardens,.Williamsburg, VA Beach, and OBX all go that way.

Another alternative route, 295 south to exit 15 in Hopewell, take route 10 east until it joins up with 17 I think and get back on 64 in Chesapeake to get on expressway to NC. Both theses alternate routes bypass the bridge tunnels.

If you do go interstate 64, take the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel, MMBT, instead of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel HRBT. MMBT usually has less traffic backups.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

Online MAP directions!

Darn auto correct!

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

We arrived at our house in Corolla on July 5th. We started late and missed the back up on 158 to the bridge and arrived in Kitty Hawk at 6pm and it still took over 45 minutes to get to Corolla.

We come down from Maryland and take 301 to 17 to 64 in Newport News. It's a bit slow with traffic lights in Yorktown/NN but better than stop and go on 64.

I can confirm that when we left Corolla at 9am on the 12th that the traffic was backed up going towards Corolla on 12 and again on 158. Good luck.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

Just returned from OBX last week. Took us 2 1/2 hours to get from the bridge before Nags head to Corolla, Bumper to Bumper. It was around 3:30 when we reached the bridge,we flew into Norfolk. I would really suggest, especially with your small children, that you try to get there early and just spend the day until check in, From 1 on, it is a disaster. Most rentals don't let you check in until 4 and they close at 5, Go figure on that one!!

Niagara Falls, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

I hope you were not stuck in traffic for 7 hours like we were on July 19th. We were staying in Corolla and at1pm had 50 miles to go... we arrived at our rental at 8pm. It was our first time visitng the area, I was told that was highly unusual. If we go again, we will arrive by 9 am on a Saturday or check in on Sunday.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

We stayed in Corolla a couple of weeks ago. Sunday check-in is the way to go. No traffic until we made the right onto Rt. 12 and even then it was pretty light (about 40 minutes from the bridge to Harris Teeter in Corolla at 4PM).

It was also nice to be about relax on Saturday and watch the traffic trying to get into Corolla - glad we missed that experience. That said, if you do a Sunday to Sunday rental in Corolla, remember to get your trips south out of the way mid-week. A couple of our kids made the mistake of driving to KDH on Saturday evening for their last OBX dinner and it took them quite a while to get back, even at 10PM!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corolla Traffic in July

Leave at 4am. There is no other way to avoid the plagued traffic of NOVA. God speed on 95...