We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hammonton, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

We are staying soundfront in Corolla 8/16. We have our own dock and are looking forward to doing lots of fishing.

Any suggestions as far as bait.. etc.. anything at all would be appreciated. This will be our first time staying Soundfront and first time fishing in Corolla.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

I am not sure what you can catch up there, but I doubt it will be very big. That water is very shallow near the shore and only 6-8 feet deep in the very middle. Lots and lots of grass too. I would think a bottom rig might get something.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 18:05
Hammonton, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

Forgot to add we do have access to canoes and kayaks so we'll be able to go further out in to the sound ..

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

Not much, you would do better in the ocean. The sound around Oregon inlet is ok fishing if you feel like driving.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

Even out there I don't think you will catch much. I rarely see anyone fishing up there from a boat. It's almost fresh water up there since it gets less salty as you go north. Any tackle shop will be able to give a more up to date answer.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

FYI if your fishing both the Ocean and sound you will need two licenses a fresh water for the sound and salt water for the Ocean.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

Maybe try crabbing. Get a dip net, tie some fish heads or chicken pieces (necks work well) to the strings and dangle from the dock. If you see crabs attached to the meat raise up until just below the water line (they will release as soon as out of water) and scoop them with the dip net. Much better eating than any croaker or spot you will catch fishing :) Enjoy!

nc
Level Contributor
477 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

The body of water between Corolla and mainland is called the Currituck Sound. The Pamlico Sound is a much larger and deeper body of water to the south, adjacent to Hatteras Island. Crabbing is fun, and you should enjoy canoeing around, but I don't think you'll catch any keepers.

Hammonton, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

thanks for the replies! I also realized after posting that we will be on the Currituck Sound. not Pamlico.. either way it sounds like there's not much to catch..

We have crabbed many times before and always enjoyed that too :)

MD
Level Contributor
732 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

You can check out Corolla Bait and Tackle (see link). They have a pontoon boat (www.corollabaitandtackle.com/pontoon.html) that they charter in the Currituck Sound and seem to have daily success - lots of catfish, some flounder and spot from the photos I see -

https:/…108270329195966

10. Re: Fishing in the Pamlico Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:16