We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

I will be staying the week starting on Saturday 8/16 (next weekend). We have an oceanfront on Whalehead beach toward the northern end. We’ve been coming to Corolla for years but this will be the first time that I am going to try some surf fishing. Having an oceanfront, I couldn’t pass up the chance to give it a try since I can literally walk right out the door. I already know about getting the 10 day license. What I’d like to know are some pointers for fishing. What’s running this time of year? What is good / successful bait (squid, sand fleas, sea worms, etc.)? What about lures? Plugs, Kastmasters, spoons, rapalas, jitterbugs, etc.? I will go any time of day/night that gives me the best odds? So I guess overall, can I expect much luck? I consider myself a decent fisherman, but it’s hard to catch something if it’s not there. I don’t see a lot of questions about this here, but I am hoping for some good advice.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

What's running and what you are likely going to catch can be very different. Close to shore, like you will be, you are going to be bottom rig fishing mostly. Small spot and croaker will be the majority that you will catch. No needs for spoons, lures, jitterbug or Rapala and that this time of year up there. Plan to have more fun fishing than catching. Plan to visit a local tackle shop to get what you need in live bait or rigs to use. Have some 1/2 oz to 1 oz weights to hold down that bottom rig on not so calm days.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Take a look at this page in should answer most of your questions and get you started fishing I hope

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/id1.html

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Thanks OBX and fish.

Fish,

The link is perfect. Just what I was looking for. Of course I will talk to the guys at Corolla bait & tackle when I get there, but it's nice to have an idea up front.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Bloodworms and a bottom rig with 2 oz pyramid sinker for spot and croaker. Cut bait for bluefish. The best daily fishing report is here: http://twsbaitandtackle.wordpress.com/.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 18:27
MD
Level Contributor
791 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Just got back from Corolla and had one of the funnest fishing week's ever. Puppy drums are still out there and being caught, highly unusual for this time of year. Most active fish I caught was spot, croaker, blue and flounder. I mostly used my 7 foot rod with a 3 ounce pyramid and spot/croaker bottom rig (which I purchased at Corolla Bait and Tackle) baited with 1 inch sections of bloodworms - they can smell it at night and seem to be drawn to it. I fished a few mornings, but the real success was starting around 7 pm 'til about 11 pm Couldn't keep the line in the water more than 30 seconds without hooking something. I did cut up some spot and used it with my 10 foot rod with a standard bottom rig and 4 ounce pyramid casting out past the outer breakers and started hooking some larger blues.

Hope that helps.

MD
Level Contributor
791 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

I meant to add that I tried shrimp and squid as bait with modest success, but those bloodworms really worked. I've always been a critic of bloodworms because they're not a natural bait for these fish and they're expensive at $8 for a bag of 10 of them, but I tried them this year and it made a big difference. Many times, I'd hook fish and the bait was still intact, so I only purchased 2 bags for the entire week as the inch sections made for quite a few casts.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Great fishing report! Thanks for posting.

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Great report! What did you catch Drum with? How big do the blues run? Are they the same as northeast blues? I have both my 6'6" fenwick freshwater and 9' surf rod. Sounds like a great time! I roll in tomorrow and can't wait!

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Great report! What did you catch Drum with? How big do the blues run? Are they the same as northeast blues? I have both my 6'6" fenwick freshwater and 9' surf rod. Sounds like a great time! I roll in tomorrow and can't wait!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf Fishing on Whalehead Beach

Cut fresh mullet has always been my choice for drum. TWs may have them, if you have a cast net and can find a place on the sound you can get your own, sometimes I have got them from the surf. The blues are smallish compared to the ones I have caught up north.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 11:41