We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

Franklin, TN...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

Hey there,

I'm an Ashevillian who now resides in Franklin, Tn...outside of Nashville. We have a soon-to-be 3 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old that would love to do the Polar Express Christmas train ride that starts in Nov. I am trying to find someone who has been on this train to see if it's nice enough to justify the ticket price!

We live about 2 1/2 hrs away from Chattanooga and the TN Valley Railroad Museum also has a Polar Express train ride. I am trying to compare the to rides and see which is better...anybody gone on this or know someone credible that has?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Polar Express
Polar Express
38 Reviews
Bryson City, NC
Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

My friend has taken her son and a friend for two years and they have really enjoyed it. Their first time they were 3 1/2 or 4 1/2. She is pretty thrifty and is also a good judge of value and she has always had good things to say about the Polar Express.

atlanta
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

We have driven the past two years from south of Atlanta (about 5 hours) to attend the Polar Express. My 6 year old loves the movie. We always take the train when it will be dark so it seems more magical outside. They serve hot chocolate and a snack on the train, sing carols, then stop at the "North Pole" - an area lit up with lights where you see Santa sitting on his sleigh - Then Santa gets on board and passes through the train giving out a candy cane and bell - posing for photos, etc. It has been magical for my kids and we plan to do it again this year.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

I live in the area and own a shop in Dillsboro. My kids ages 12, 10 and & have ridden the Pole Ex twice and have had a good time. it is a nicely themed and perhaps recommend that train ride above their other themed trained rides.

The railroad works with the town of Whittier turn it into the North Pole. Whittier is not huge by any terms, but they do a good job at it. Like others have said, they serve hot chocolate and so on.

Not to push anything on you, but if you come the first 2 full weekends in December, Dillsboro is the first town in North Carolina to light up the town the old fashioned way with its Lumenaries Festival. Perhaps booking the train ride on Satrday night and coming over on Friday you can take in an old fashioned Smoky Mountain Christmas along with the Polar Express..thus making a weekend even out of it and the overal trip worth it.

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

Agreed with Bob. The Polar Express is a great ride for children AND adults. We all loved it!

I saw the luminaries in Dillsboro a couple years ago and it was wonderful. There really is nothing like the Smokies at Christmas!

5. Re: Polar Express(Bryson City) Train Ride---Is it worth the $??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Dillsboro