We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time does Saturday traffic start?

Which Duck hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What time does Saturday traffic start?

I see a lot of posts asking what time Saturday traffic ends - could someone let me know what time it typically starts on Saturdays? We're heading to Duck this coming Saturday. I'm driving down from NJ and current plan would have me in the OBX area by 8/9am. Will I be in the clear at that time?

Thanks!

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

You'll be real good at that time. Anytime before 10:30 or so.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

Seems like it starts earlier each week but you should be ok.

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

Thanks guys. Now if we can just get the weather forecast for this weekend and early next week to cooperate!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

That should be a good time to get across the Wright bridge and avoid the delays on route 12 north. Route 12 is the bottleneck and traffic starts backing up there a bit earlier than the backup across the bridge. We crossed at about 10 am in late June, and although the bridge was pretty clear, there was already a line of cars waiting to go north on 12 at the 158 junction. Also, bear in mind that there are some delays going in the opposite direction if you are leaving on Saturday as well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

Go to Duck Deli for lunch and take your sandwiches to the beach! Let your realtor know you on the OBX and they most likely will call or text you when your key is ready! Don't park in your rental's driveway before you get the key. The cleaners will turn around and not go in and you will be further delayed. You will probably be able to park at the end of your street. Have fun!!

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

We're actually going to our friend's condo and they're doing an overnight drive getting there around 2 a.m. so whenever we get there (I'm toying with the idea of doing the overnight drive too), we can get settled in right away.

Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

It would be great to go to the beach in Duck before your house is ready but there's no public beach access there so that's not really plausible. You could probably go to the Duck town square though.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

On the street where we rent, I just drive down to the end of the cul-de-sac and park where you are allowed. I guess not every rental is on a street like that but many are especially in Duck.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

Most streets do not have parking at the end, and you risk getting ticketed or towed if you park on the street where you're not supposed to. You could, however, call your rental company ahead of time and ask if you can leave the car in the driveway while you go to the beach. With advance notice, they may be able to tell the cleaners to expect a red Ford (or whatever) to be in the driveway and that the house will be empty.

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time does Saturday traffic start?

I just got back. MUST arrive before 9 am so take into account traffic getting down to OBX. I got to the Bridge to OBX this past Saturday at 10 and didn't get to Corolla (20 miles away) until 2 pm. It was a nightmare. Total nightmare. And the locals said it is worse than ever and like that every weekend.

On the way back I left Friday night at 7pm and drove back all night. It was perfect.