We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

I was planning on leaving south jersey on 8/17 at 900 am to get to Duck around 4 pm. what kind of traffic should I expect at that time? suggestions? first time to OBX having spent 30 summers at various Jersey shores, any info will help.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

This season in particular has been AWFUL for traffic..... My daughter took 45 minutes to get the last 12 miles to our home in Southern Shores (Just south of Duck).... My suggestion would be to do some shopping in the Greenbriar or Great Bridge sections of Chesapeake and STALL until MUCH later. Our home is right on the highway to Duck.... the traffic does not break up on Saturdays til 9 p.m. Once you cross the bridge and are actually on the Outer Banks it could EASILY take you another 2 hours to get up to Duck if you stay on the main road.....

Message me and I will describe the shortcut we semi-locals take if we HAVE to travel at that time.....

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

There is no way you can leave NJ at 9am and be in Duck at 4pm on a Saturday in season. You should plan on crossing the Wright Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk before 10am on August 17. Otherwise, it will take you A LOT longer than you think, based on mileage.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

that sounds like a challenge... haha. how about leaving closer to noon. what will traffic be like say around 7 pm?

Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

You might have a problem getting into town at 7:00 pm. The rental agencies close at 5:00.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

rental agency has a drop box after hours to pick up keys....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

In July, I left Phily between 2-3pm and sailed through on a Saturday getting to Duck around 8:30 - 9(fastest time even even paying attention to small town speed limits . I have been going to OBX for 28 yrs and I will never leave before 2 again. It made the drive sooo much more pleasurable. If you have little kids who will be cranky by leaving that late, then I would have your car packed on Friday night, throw the kids in their pajamas in the car very early and be passing through Philly by 4am. Alternatively drive Fri night to Chesapeake area and be on the road no later than 9am. It is worth the hassle when you get up the next morning and breathe in that ocean air!

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

thanks. I think the early afternoon departure is best option. figure leave SJ just after lunch and get to obx by 700 or so check in and grab dinner, drink and a nice sunset rather than rush there dealing with traffic. u take 13 thru Delaware? how is that road?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

13 can be a speed up and slow down road once you get off of Route 1(65mph). Pay close attn to those speed limits in Delaware because these little towns make a lot of money on speeders. One of our party also got a camera red light ticket.

From Philly I take 95-495 (around wilmington), get back on 95 for a short period of time then take 1South" the "newer" toll road". Go past the exits for Dover and take the exit past the last toll booth and it will say to Norfolk. Keep on 13 through DE and MD and into VA over the Chesapeake Bay bridge, Get gas and Food on this stretch of road before you take 64 tow Chesapeake. take 168(not business route) to 158. You will have an amazing feeling when you come around the bend and find yourself on the Wright bridge on your way to Duck! Go to the top ofthe hill and stay in the left lane for Route 12 tow Duck. If you don't have ez pass it is well worth the time to get one!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

Oh, there is one bridge on 158 over a canal that will fake you out and make you think you are there. You still have a ways to go but you will know when you have reached the big bridge onto the OBX because you will be facing the big bay and all of the muscles in your body will relax and you will know that you are about to really start your vacation! .Have fun!

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arriving at duck 4 pm - not a good idea because of traffic?

I just got back from Corolla yesterday, which is one town past Duck. I will tell you this--it took over 4 hours to go 10 miles from the Causeway to Duck on Saturday morning. The traffic eases up after 4 pm supposedly, but it was a nightmare. Duck in general is a traffic nightmare. I was advised to arrive before 9am or after 4pm on Saturday "next time".