We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound access in Duck

Which Duck hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sound access in Duck

Where is a good place to take our pups swimming in the Sound? We're staying in E Seahawk in late October and have a Golden Retriever puppy who I would like to introduce to the water in a gentle way. Where is a good access point where we can wade in. It's not like the "old days" anymore, like when my father and I would drive up to Duck, pull off to the side of the road to park and walk over, with raft in hand, to go clamming. FWIW, last May I saw a man playing with his English Springer Spaniel in the sound while I was waiting for our to-go pizza from "The Wave Pizza"s deck area.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound access in Duck

watch out for the snapping turtles hiding in the marsh near Kitty Hawk kites in Duck!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound access in Duck

Have you been since the boardwalk over the sound has been installed? If so, right near the Ocean Atlantic rentals is a spot where they put their kayaks in the water. Also, if you parked at the Sunset Grill in the morning you could also have a pretty good entry spot to the south of the restaurant....

I posted some photos of the walkways recently:

www.obxtravels.blogspot.com

Have a great vacation.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 12:45
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound access in Duck

Thanks! Yes, we have been going twice a year for a while now and know about the boardwalk, just never ventured there. I think that area may be preferable as just South of Sunset Grill is a little too open and public (cannot think of a better word) for me. I'm not so much worried about the snapping turtles, but thanks for the heads up, as I am about water moccasins, thereby preferring a non-reedy sound access. Am I hoping for the impossible?

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sound access in Duck

Although many people and/or their dogs frolic in the sound, and it is nice and warm, but we don't let our dog in the sound. Too dirty in our estimation, plus the snake issue.

Our dog swims, retrieves and body surfs in the ocean, and we look at the surf reports and watch for rip current warnings before we let her go in the ocean.

I'm just saying.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sound access in Duck

Thanks! Yes, we have been going twice a year for a while now and know about the boardwalk, just never ventured there. I think that area may be preferable as just South of Sunset Grill is a little too open and public (cannot think of a better word) for me. I'm not so much worried about the snapping turtles, but thanks for the heads up, as I am about water moccasins, thereby preferring a non-reedy sound access. Am I hoping for the impossible?

nc
Level Contributor
479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sound access in Duck

There is a good place for dog fun in the Sound in Kitty Hawk. Turn west on Tateway near milepost 4.5 and at the top of the hill, head down into the little cul de sac. I take my dog there all the time, and it is populated enough that I've never seen a snake there. The bottom is mostly just sandy with a little vegetation, and you have to walk way out to get waist deep.

7. Re: Sound access in Duck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:21