We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duck or Corolla

Which Duck hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Benning...
1 post
Save Topic
Duck or Corolla

Our first visit to OBX was 4 years ago. While we loved the house and small-town charm, we found the beach had a drop-off that was rough and unenjoyable for our younger children. Have there been any beach nourishment efforts since then to smooth out the shoreline?

Thank you!

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duck or Corolla

The profile of the beach changes constantly due to wind and waves. By our house, we have had an escarpment with a 2-foot drop off, and, in the same summer, a slope so gentle people could walk way, way out and still have the water below their waists. Likewise, the waves can be big enough to knock you off your feet one day and almost non-existent the next.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duck or Corolla

Duck is looking to do beach nourishment along with KDH and Kitty in a couple years, but like Quack said, it does shift and change with winds and tides.

northern ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duck or Corolla

We stayed at Colony by the Sea in July of 2013 in Duck NC. We loved it! The beach was right out front, the was enough area for all of us staying at COS to have space on the beach without feeling crowded, as Duck has no public access. I would say the drop off was about a foot of loose (fish tank size) gravel that was difficult for me an overweight 50ish person to get in and out of the water ( it didnt stop me i just hung on to my sons arm getting back on the beach) Once in the water we were able to be 30 to 40 ft off shore and still able to stand on the bottom. The children seemed to have no problem getting in and out of the water. They could even body surf all the way up on the shore. This being said I never tried the beach anywhere else on the outer banks. The temp of the water was great until the day before we left, the wind came up and no one was swimming due to the drop in water temp. I found Duck to have more of a small town feel where corolla seemed a bit too commercial. COS has a small pool( no lifeguard) small child and parents were the ones playing in it, when waves were a bit too much for the little ones I don't know if this was any help but enjoy your trip.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 23:09
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duck or Corolla

We have stayed in both Duck and Corolla and we prefer Corolla. I have 3 teenagers who have been going since they were toddlers and we all prefer the beaches of Corolla over Duck. Our favorite beaches are North of Whalehead, I felt the beach in Pine Island area was too narrow. Duck has a small town feel, but it is congested. I didn't feel Corolla was commercial at all, I consider the southern end KDH, etc to be the commercial area. No matter where you are on the OBX, it's just wonderful to be there. It's a beautiful place! If you don't mind not being on the ocean, the Currituck Club is beautiful!

5. Re: Duck or Corolla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:17