We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

I need to make a one night reservation in the Chapel Hill/Durham area so I can take my son to look at Duke and UNC. I am looking for clean, safe accomodations. Any suggestions?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

You might consider accommodations in West Central Durham or Southwest Durham as they would be convenient to both Duke and UNC. Here is a link to search just those areas' lodging properties from the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau:

<http://www.durham-nc.com/lodging/lodging_search.php>

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
272 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

The campuses are very close, so you have lots of options. I would suggest the Homewood Suites on Mt. Moriah - that's about as central between the two campuses as you can get.

There is also a new Courtyard Marriott in Chapel Hill, just off Hwy. 54. This is a good location, just down the road from UNC.

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

There is a brand new hotel that I have heard of, but never stayed at. It is the Four Points By Sheraton Durham at South Point. Since it is new, it should be clean and I know it is 100% non-smoking so that should help with the cleanliness factor as well. I know it is 11 miles from the airport and I think it should cost around 150, maybe less. Be sure to sign up for Starwood Preferred Guest if you go there. I highly recommend Starwood hotels even though I have never been to this one.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

I'll second the recommendation for Homewood Suites on Mt. Moriah Road. We teach at Duke and stayed there a couple of times with our kids on "scouting expeditions" before we moved here two years ago. Good breakfast, lots of restaurant options very close by, and right off 15-501, which is the main drag linking Durham and Chapel Hill. You'll be about 15 minutes from either campus there. It's right off of Interstate 40, and 15-501 intersects with Interstate 85, so however you're getting here, it's easy to find. Rates are reasonable.

5. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 08:24