We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have 2 choices: help me decide where to live

Virginia
11 posts
Save Topic
Have 2 choices: help me decide where to live

I'm 22/F, just graduated, and have just visited Durham/Chapel Hill for a week since I am moving there. Comments or advice?

1) Nice townhome across the street from Southpoint Mall in Durham with a 29-year-old doctor/med student and a 26-year-old nursing student. They are really outgoing and friendly and the townhome's really nice, but I'm worried that the age gap is too much-- that we are at different stages in life. Also, Durham seems very suburban and a tad soul-less to me! However, Chap Hill is only 15 minutes away and my mother thinks that the roommates could do some networking for me among their medical friends if I need a job. It is also good because it is a little closer to Raleigh if I ever want to go there.

2) House off of Airport Rd (Stateside) in Chapel Hill with two 25-year-old young professionals and a 23-year-old nanny. I like the fact that they are my age and that it is only 6 minutes from Chapel Hill's main "drag," Franklin St.

Maybe I'm just spineless because my mom likes Choice #1 better!

What do you think I should do?

Steph

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have 2 choices: help me decide where to live

Starry - where will you be working? That would guide my decision a bit. If you're working in Chapel Hill, I'd take the Airport Road/Stateside location. There's a bus stop right close to there (well, I say that because there are stops all up and down Airport Rd). Traffic from the Southpoint area can be a hassle, of course unless youre working out that way. This is just an opinion, but I think the Chapel Hill area is a bit safer. I have friends who live close to Southpoint and there was a rash of car breakins last week. Not violent crime, but crime. Here in CH things are pretty safe. Yes, it's cool to be near Franklin St (and I'm 50 year old woman!)....Southpoint to me is just to, well, like everywhere else in the US. Franklin St and Chapel Hill are unique. If you're into music, art, social activities, ethnic foods, CH is for you. If you like to hang out at the Gap and Pottery Barn and food courts, Southpoint is the place.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Have 2 choices: help me decide where to live

I would have to agree that based on your two choices you will be happier in Chapel Hill. However, having said that, I will also add that there are plenty of places with soul in Durham. This whole development thing is pretty recent for us! Southpoint is an awesome mall, but pretty sterile and nouveau. The town I know and love is the town that hosts the Durham Bulls, has renovated tobacco warehouses made into killer apartments/condos and shops, some of the best restaurants in the state, Duke Gardens and Ninth Street. And that train comes through all the time, blowing its distinctive whistle! You can sit out at Pop's restaurant and have to stop your conversation sometimes due to the rumble. There's great character all over the place in Durham.

I also love Chapel Hill but find the cost of living to be higher there than Durham.