We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

college visit, Duke and UVA

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
96 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
college visit, Duke and UVA

What is the best way to visit these two school. We will be flying from DFW. I have looked into flying into RDU and out of RIC or CHO, looks like one way car rentals are pricey, but flying between the schools is very time consuming as well. Ideas??? I appreciate any advise. Thanks

Winston Salem, NC
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

The drive from duke to UVA is going to take about

six hours depending on how long you drive. you

can take I40 from durham to 29 in greensboro and follow that to charlottesville. The road out of

greensboro is four lane and goes through several small towns in Va. Your other option is to take 85 to 95 to

richmond and cut over to Charlottesville. We don't go that way as traffic can be brutal. The other way may be somewhat slower but offer better options to stop and get gas or something to eat

Hope your travels are safe. Go Wahoos

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
272 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

The back roads into Charlottesville from Durham is a beautiful route. Ideally, I would fly into RDU, do a one-way car rental, and then fly out of an airport close to Charlottesville. I wouldn't bother trying to fly between the two. Too much of a hassle, and it's a very pretty drive if you stay off of I-95. It should only take you 4 hours to get there.

You may also want to check out flying out of Dulles. There's a fabulous museum there (part of the Air and Space collection), and you may get better rates flying out of a much larger airport. It is, of course, a bit further than the other two airports mentioned, but it's just a sight-seeing suggestion since you're traveling so far.... I always try to see what I can!!

Have a great trip.

Dallas
Level Contributor
96 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

Thanks for the suggestions, I was afraid traffic could be an issue. I can get a pretty decent fair flying into Charlottesville and out of Raleigh, so I think I will do the backroad one way drive option.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

It will not take you 6 hours to get to Charlottesville from Durham, more like 3.5 to 4. And, really, traffic won't be that bad. The bad traffic on I-95 is 30 miles north of Richmond up toward DC and you won't be within 30 miles of that.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

You might check Dulles but do not be daunted by the drive from RDU to Charlottesville. It's more like 3 hours and, as someone just said, a pleasant, pretty drive. You will need to spend a little time checking out UNC and Chapel Hill, aand may want to headquarter there as opposed to Durham. You may even choose to apply!

Dallas
Level Contributor
96 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

We will look over the UNC website and see if they offer what she is looking for, who knows??? Thanks everyone, we will look forward to our visit.

7. Re: college visit, Duke and UVA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 06:15