We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Area - Should We Stay in Raleigh or Durham?

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Area - Should We Stay in Raleigh or Durham?

My brother and I are planning to visit the area to attend a wedding the weekend before Thanksgiving. It will be held at the Treyburn Country Club. I have a couple of questions for the experts...

If we fly into RDU, which city has better public transportation and options? We will not have a car and want to be able to get around a little (without taxis if possible) - how would we get to each city center from the airport? Is it best to stay in city center since we won't have a car?

Which city center is safer and which has more to do? What hangouts do you recommend (we are early 40's (but have no desire to hit a nightclub to go dancing). Sports, music, pool - something like that.

We will likely have a ride to Treyburn CC but if not, which city can get us there more easily? Thank you for responding with your travel wisdom!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Area - Should We Stay in Raleigh or Durham?

Treyburn is on the north side of Durham so I say stay there. The drive there from Raleigh would be a pain in the backside for sure.

There's a very nice Marriott in downtown Durham. Good amount to do there including tons of great dining, as well as bars, pubs, coffee houses, etc. The hotel is also next door to a beautiful historic theatre that has movies and occasional concerts. Downtowndurham.com would have good lists of things to do nearby.

2. Re: Visiting the Area - Should We Stay in Raleigh or Durham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 06:19