We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Couple of Questions about Durham

dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A Couple of Questions about Durham

My daughter is going to Duke this coming fall and for move-in day in August, the family and I were going to come down a few days before she had to move into her dorm to do some shopping.

I narrowed down the list of hotels to: Staybridge Suites and Holiday Inn Express at Durham [Guess Road Location]

Basically I need some advice on which one to pick. I know that the Holiday Inn is closer to campus, but Staybridge seems nicer and farther. How busy will traffic be if we have to drive from Staybridge to campus at around 8:30 to 10:30 am?

Also, can anyone recommend any good vegetarian/Thai restaurants in a safe part of town?

Thanks very much

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Couple of Questions about Durham

I have had good success with the Homewood Suites in Durham, it's on Mt Moriah Rd. It is behind a Japanese steak house, an Outback and a Bob Evans. and it is very close to a lot of shopping.

For restaurants near the Duke campus, hit 9th St. It has many choices.

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
279 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Couple of Questions about Durham

Are you referring to the Staybridge Suites on Mt. Moriah? If so, that would be my pick. I agree with the pp - the Mt. Moriah location is much more pleasant than the HI Express Guess Road area. The downside is that it is further from campus, and they are currently doing some road construction on 15-501. Peak times it can get backed up, but during the bulk of the day you should be fine getting to campus. Another option would be the cluster of hotels of off Hillandale Road.

If you like Thai, you must try the Thai Cafe on University Drive.

dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Couple of Questions about Durham

Yes , I was talikng about the Holiday express on on guess road.

- My daughter's dorm move in time is at 8.30 on Aug 24th Tuesday. That is why I was concerned about traffic.I am not sure whether we can make it in time from Moriah road to duke east campus.

.Otherwise both staybridge & homewood suite are perfect-

I will look around as you suggested

Thai cafe sounds perfect- especially after the move in day.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
279 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Couple of Questions about Durham

Honestly, I think you still would be fine staying at Mt. Moriah road - the traffic around here really isn't that bad. It may be a matter of sitting through an extra light or two. But I can certainly understand wanting to be adjacent to campus. Mt. Moriah area will have better access to shopping, and if you're here for a few nights, a nicer, more comfortable hotel may have more weight. Be sure to hit Southpoint Mall!

The hotel I was thinking of earlier is a Comfort Inn on Hillandale Road. I think there is also a Courtyard Marriott across from it.

Good luck, and welcome to Duke!!!

5. Re: A Couple of Questions about Durham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 07:17