We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Durham

Durham, North...
8 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Durham

We are in the process of moving to the RTP area for a work relocation. We are looking seriously at the area just north of Jordan Lake and south of the Southpoint Mall. Does anyone have any thoughts about this area? We don't need school information as we are past that age.

Are there any concerns about traffic problems in this area?

I will be anxious to hear about this area from its residents.

Thanks

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Durham

It sounds as if you are looking in exactly the right location. I live in the Woodlake subdivision which is just across I-40 from Southpoint Mall. Southwest Durham is a growing area and there are lots of nice neighborhoods (Woodlake, Woodcroft, Hope Valley Farms, Chancellor's Ridge, etc.).

If you'll be working in RTP, your commute times would only be 10 to 15 minutes. Most of the traffic problems for RTP'ers are for those driving the opposite direction from Raleigh--so not a problem for you if you live in areas near Southpoint. Other traffic problems arise only around Christmas directly at the mall.

I will be happy to provide more info if you so desire.

Durham, North...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Durham

Thank you. You confirmed what we thought but you don't know until you live there.

Do you know about golf in the area? We are not looking at a home on a golf course but both play and would like to find a place to play regularly.

We also enjoy bicycling. We noticed a trail off of Massey Chapel Road when we drove by. Do you know anything about that? We ride hybrids so don't really have off road tires but we are not into speed either.

Thanks for you insight.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Durham

RE: golf...there are lots of golf courses in the Triangle. Finley Golf Course (the official course for the UNC golf team) is located about 10 minutes away. The course was recently redesigned by Dale Fazio (I think!) and has been ranked very highly. I'm not into golf so I can't give you alot of info on that, unfortunately.

RE: biking...the American Tobacco Trail runs all through Durham and is used exclusively by runners and bikers.

Durham, North...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Durham

Thank you again.

You seem to know your area well. Mike lived in Germany for about 10 years so is used to shopping for meat in a meat market, wine in a wine shop etc. We certainly use the large stores but like independently owned markets for food and specialty items. We also like dining in the chef/owner restaurants. Again, we go to the chain restaurants but will be looking for the smaller independent restaurants as well as shopping of that type. Any suggestions or thoughts ?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Durham

You seem to know your area well. Mike lived in Germany for about 10 years so is used to shopping for meat in a meat market, wine in a wine shop etc. We certainly use the large stores but like independently owned markets for food and specialty items. We also like dining in the chef/owner restaurants. Again, we go to the chain restaurants but will be looking for the smaller independent restaurants as well as shopping of that type. Any suggestions or thoughts ? \

As far as independently owned markets, I would suggest Weaver Street Market in downtown Carrboro (approximately 15 minutes from SW Durham). Also, there are a few Earth Fares and Whole Foods (although, I realize they are corporate chains).

As for restuarants, there are several excellent locally-owned restaurants throughout the Triangle. Some favorites are:

Chapel Hill/Carrboro--411, Elaine's on Franklin, Acme Food and Beverage, Il Palio

Durham--George's Garage, Cafe Parizade, Nana's, Pop's

Raleigh--Mo's Diner, Simpson's, Bloomsbury Bistro, Cafe Luna

Soon To Be Wake...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Durham

jsb23nc...you have helped so much with other posts and I saw you on this one - I feel very good about your advice.

Durham...I have been told that it has some "bad" parts. Coming from NY, I know a lot about "bad" parts, but don't want to get roped in blind buy a realtor trying to sell a property. What is your take on the Durham area? It seems perfect for commutes to RTP. How "bad" are these "bad" places anyway? Are they comparing it to surrounding Estate areas or are they fairly bad areas? Where should we look into and stay away from?

Thank you ahead of time for your answer.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Durham

Yes, Durham has "bad" parts just like every city. There is drug activity, some gangs, some shootings, etc. (Of course, 99% of the folks in those areas are victims of these crimes and are not involved but the other 1% of the people in these areas make life h---- for the rest of them.) The primary area where these events occur is "east Durham".

Southwest Durham (Woodlake, Woodcroft, Hope Valley Farms, Chancellor's Ridge, et al) is not a concern (although these areas are probably only 3 to 5 miles away from the "bad" areas...kinda like most cities).

Durham, North...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Durham

What about recycling? Is it encouraged and supported?

thanks again

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Durham

Recycling? No offense but that's a strange question, lol.

Yes, Durham has weekly recycling pickups and you receive a recycling bin with your trash bin. In addition, there are a few drop-off sites for larger recycling items.

Durham, North...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Durham

I knew it was a strange question but something I thought about as I was putting out the recycling here.

Thank you again for all your knowledge. I am looking forward to the move.

I will be looking for work. I have taught school for 26 years and am ready to try something new. It does appear that there is a lot of opportunity.