We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chapel Hill vs. Durham

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Chapel Hill vs. Durham

Passing through on a Sunday and looking to spend evening/night in either location.

Not looking for any major sightseeing but just curious what would be more traveler friendly, interesting and cooler to go grab a drink somewhere between the 2 cities?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
279 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

My vote is for Chapel Hill! Can't beat Franklin Street.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

The same here, Chapel Hill/Carrboro; going there tomorrow for the w/end...

Very walkable..good pubs, restaurants.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

They're both great towns. I think a case could be made for either one. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are a good bit smaller than Durham and more centered around the university.

Durham is undergoing a resurgence from its blue collar tobacco past and is a vibrant mid-sized city and, of course, home to Duke (much smaller than UNC) and also NC Central University (historically black college).

They both boast excellent restaurants and arts-centered activities. What kind of place are you looking to grab a drink and maybe we could recommend a place in either town. They're also close enough together that if you really wanted a feel for both you could eat in one and grab a drink in the other.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

Both are great but I tend to think Durham is more grown-up while Chapel Hill is still very college-oriented.

I think an important question is, which highway are you "passing through" on? If it's I-85, then Durham is the obvious choice. Chapel Hill would be off the path, but downtown Durham is literally a few blocks off the interstate.

If it's I-40, then Chapel Hill would probably make much more sense. The part of Durham along 40 is the southern suburban area, and nothing there but malls, subdivisions and such.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 13:38
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

Rob, above, is right on.

Both cities offer a great variety of restaurants and bars, but Durham is going to be much more cosmopolitan. Lots of jazz and good shows - more of what you might expect in a city. In Chapel Hill and neighboring Carrboro the restaurants are very nice but the bars are, IMHO, kid-stuff.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

Here's one almost 50 year old "kid" who loves Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is a charming and unique historic town, with a beautiful historic University. A very special place, with nice places for eats and drinks/live music entertainment for both college kids and adults. I was in Chapel Hill Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, on Franklin st. during the evening; I saw plenty of other adults enjoying themselves. Carrboro right beside Chapel Hill only adds to the dining and entertainment opportunities.

Durham, while it's come a long way from days not too long ago when it was totally not safe to visit many areas especially after-dark, and it does have a few interesting venues; overall it is a city just like many other cities in the U.S. When I'm traveling I try to visit places which are unique/have character and charm, not just another generic mid-size U.S. city.

7. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2011, 15:19
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

I am with you Ballasalla, there are some really neat pubs & clubs (e.g. Pinhook http://thepinhook.com/) in Durham... I don't share UNC Mickey's view either...

Well, it would be nice to know where the OP went....

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

Whiskey, very cool place

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chapel Hill vs. Durham

I was surprised by the description of Durham as cosmopolitan. I spent a day there last year and was sad by the lack of ....looked like a depressed city, not quite charmining but no revitalized. I tried driving around to find nicer areas. I would like to find out more about the cute parts of town.

That being said I'm trying to select a hotel either Durham, Chapel Hill or Research Triangle to meet up with an old friend. I'm going to be suite hotel and we'll go out for dinner.

Any suggestions?