We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staybridge or springhill

dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
staybridge or springhill

Will be in town for 5 days - helping daughter to move in ( Duke ). which hotel will be a better choice for a family ? Plan to do some sightseeing in and around the area.

Thanks in advance

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
608 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staybridge or springhill

Not sure where those are located....so can't comment on the particular locations, but there is a BRAND NEW Hampton Inn on Club Drive that is across the street from the only mall here and a movie theater. It opened less than 6 mo ago, so its going to be in good shape, I'd think.

The next place I can think of would be the Marriott Courtyard at Hillandale Rd; there were many families staying there last fall at move in time.

These 2 are at opposite sides of the campus, so where she's going to be living may decide whether either of these work for you.

dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: staybridge or springhill

Thanks. will look into that

She is going to stay in West campus dorms

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
608 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staybridge or springhill

For West campus, the Marriott would probably be more convenient. We stayed there when we moved and had to wait for the truck to arrive---right at Duke's move-in days :O ! There were plenty of families and the hotel did a good job of managing things, we thought. They were planning to re-do the lobby dining area, so I can't speak to the new situation, but the manager of the kitchen was great and I can only guess that she would have been retianed through the transition.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staybridge or springhill

The hotels mentioned by the other posters all all good options, the Staybridge Suites and Springhill are located on 15/501 just a 2 or 3 mile drive from west campus, so very easy to access as you just hop onto 15/501, follow the bypass signs towards Duke and exit on either Cameron Blvd or Moreene Rd. Both faily new nice hotels.

dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: staybridge or springhill

We booked staybridge -

Any recommendations on road trip ideas from Durham - willing to drive upto 3 hours . enjoy everything related to nature (hiking, bird watching ), history,museums ,antiques, good food.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
608 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staybridge or springhill

Durham itself has some good historical sites...we like Stagville in particular, and the Duke Homestead are two " first thoughts". The Duke Gardens are a nice place, too.

There is a lake in the Uwharrie forest that is lovely and has good birding opportunities....that's about 2 hours west.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staybridge or springhill

Close to home is the Eno River State Park, dozens of trails and some that go along the river which is just a delightful rocky river that is easily accessible for paddling etc...The Park is at the end of Cole Mill Rd. www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/enri/main.php

Hanging Rock SP is a great trip, about 2 hrs from Durham www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/main.php

Definitely include a visit to the three state historic sites Bennett Place, Stagville and Duke Homestead.

Then there is always the coast, Wilmington is just a short 2.5 hr drive out I-40

dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: staybridge or springhill

thanks

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staybridge or springhill

Since you are moving your daughter to college, I'm assuming you'll be here in August. August is always brutally hot and humid throughout the Piedmont and Sand-hills of NC; the NC beaches have also been exceptionally hot this summer. If you want to enjoy hiking and beautiful nature without heat-stoke I'd recommend visiting the cool NC mountains, a little less than 3 hours from Durham... a straight shot up hwy.421. Lots of great hiking up there...many trails with beautiful waterfalls. Other great outdoor activities include: playing in numerous swimming-holes throughout the area, exploring sites along the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway(it's also a great place for incredible star-gazing at night), white-water rafting, kayaking, canoeing, caving, mountain-biking, fly fishing, and also some cool zip-lines at Hawksnest resort! Boone and Blowing Rock have great places to eat; also some neat artisan/craft shops...and nice little art galleries. Blowing Rock has some great antique shops, and if you're into thrift/second-hand shops, there are many throughout the area. Area restaurants and community groups also host several outdoor music concerts each week during the summer months.

Well worth the time it takes to get to the cool mountains! :) I've been up there twice already this summer and am going back in August....it's a real treat to enjoy the beautiful outdoors without sweating! :) http://www.exploreboonearea.com/ http://www.blowingrock.com/ http://boone-nc.org/ http://highcountryhost.com/

10. Re: staybridge or springhill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:18