We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Durham to Beaufort

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Durham to Beaufort

So, I am going to be driving from Durham to Beaufort with a large family (in laws & 4 kids). Does anybody have a couple of suggestions about good places to stop along the way to eat, stretch our legs, etc. We're not looking for anything too time-consuming as we're pretty eager just to get our vacation started. But, I know my family and a couple of well placed stops will make the trip less stressful for everyone.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

There are a few good BBQ restaurants in Goldsboro worth a stop - we like Wilbur's. You could also get out and walk along the waterfront in New Bern. Both towns are on your route.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

It's a pretty short drive—just about 3 hrs on 70. I wouldn't stop more than once if you can help it. Maybe Wilbur's. That's a good suggestion.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

Another place is Adams Roadside Barbecue right on Highway 70 (before you get to Goldsboro). They have both North Carolina barbecue and some sliced Texas-style brisket. Yum! I didn't get a chance to try their ribs but those are next!

Oh, BTW, they only have outdoor seating right now.

The next time I go to the coast I am going to pre-order a whole brisket so I can also take some with me. It would make great sandwiches.

http://www.adamsroadsidebbq.com/

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. We love barbecue so it sounds like we have some great options. Also glad to head the drive is shorter than the estimate on google maps!

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

So, I guess I should have mentioned we were going to Beaufort SC...

But thanks - we enjoyed Adams Roadside :-)

Gillian

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

That's funny! We all thought you meant Beaufort, NC. Beaufort, SC is wonderful too though!

Glad you enjoyed Adams Roadside.

7. Re: Driving from Durham to Beaufort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 10:15