We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

Hi,

Is there a particular area in downtown Durham or Chapel Hill where you can find restaurants and boutique style shops (clothes, gifts, etc).

We are looking for a nice place to wander around, eat, and shop.

Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

In Durham, you can check out the Brightleaf Square area for shops and eats, also the 9th street area. The American Tobacco Campus in Durham is a lovely spot to stroll and eat, but not so great on shopping.

In Chapel Hill, downtown Franklin St has shops and eats (lots of college t-shirt shops, but a few other gems as well). University Mall (a very small mall) has some really nice upscale shops like the gourmet shop Southern Season (http://www.southernseason.com/) as well as some bottom of the barrel discount stores (i.e. Roses). Good food (Spice Street, Weathervane, etc) and more nice shops than not nice ones. Camerons is another great gift store (http://www.camerons-gallery.com/).

In Carrboro, you can stroll downtown and find lots of eats and several shops. Carr Mill in Carrboro (even smaller mall than University Mall) has several boutiques and 3 restaurants in the mall, plus many more nearby.

In Durham, you can also go to the Streets at Southpoint Mall. It's a very nice big mall with all the chains you would expect (Nordstrom, Macy's, Sears, Belk) plus many specialty stores (Apple store, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, kids clothier Naartje). There are several pretty good restaurants in the mall in addition to the standard mall food court.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

Thanks-very helpful!!

Ridgewood, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

I second all of Pan's suggestions and wanted to add - even though not big on shops, the American Tobacco Campus is a must visit if in Durham. Simply breathtaking!

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

Thank you!

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
609 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

I have a related question--hope people are still looking at this forum. I'll be in Durham for a day while my husband is at a business meeting. Looking for a place I can "hang out" with shops, cafes, and/or place to sit and read. Will be staying at Comfort Inn RTP on Page Rd. off of 40, and I won't have a car so will rely on their shuttle service, which only goes within 5 miles of the hotel. From the map it looks like the Streets at Southpoint Mall is close enough, but I'm not sure I want to spend the entire day in an indoor mall (especially since most of the stores are at my local mall). Are there any other areas nice and/or interesting enough to hang out within 5 miles of the Comfort Inn RTP? Maybe someplace in Research Triangle Park?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

Southpoint is not all indoors. About half of it is an outdoor pavilion.

I guess you could go hang out at Ninth St and Duke's East Campus. Lots of interesting restaurants and shops there on 9th st and you could go across the way and walk around East Campus.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
609 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

We were in Durham last summer and spent some time around 9th St.--not sure it was interesting enough to go back there, plus I think it's beyond the 5-mile radius of the Comfort Inn RTP. Southpoint sounds like a good option if there are places to sit outdoors (assuming the weather is OK).

I also see a shopping area called Sutton Station on the map that seems to be within the 5-mile radius of the hotel--would that be a good place to hang out?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

i doubt it. I don't know anything about it and seems like if it was a popular place I would have.

Plenty of benches in the outdoor portion of Southpoint.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
609 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

OK, thanks.

10. Re: Area in Durham with shops and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:17