We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horseback riding, gem mining, and places to eat

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
horseback riding, gem mining, and places to eat

I am bringing my four children to town for my two boys to attend the Duke Basketball camp. I would like to take my girls horseback riding while we are in town. Can anyone give me some places to call that offers it. They also want to mine for gems as well. I would like some suggestions for that as well.

Finally- the boys will be eating at the camp so I would love some ideas on where to take the girls to eat (6,8). They are well behaved mostly.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horseback riding, gem mining, and places to eat

Uh, not so much in Durham. You could go to the mountains for those things, but it's a long day trip.

For entertaining the other kids I'd recommend the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham. There's no gem mining, but there's a great fossil dig along the dinosaur trail. www.lifeandscience.org .

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
North Carolina
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horseback riding, gem mining, and places to eat

Well, if you have an afternoon or day to kill, I HIGHLY suggest Doc's Rocks near Blowing Rock. We spent about 2-3 hours here a few summers ago and loved it. You sort thru your bucket yourself and then geology students help show you what you have. http://www.docsrocks.net/

Looks like this about 2-3 hours from the Duke campus.

Mentioned in this post
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horseback riding, gem mining, and places to eat

It's 3 hours at least. Not really feasible if she needs to pick up the boys from camp.

There are some horseback riding places around, but I don't know if they do it by the day/hour. You might consider a horseback riding camp if they're not all booked up.

Durham is not really a tourist town. It's just a live and work town, so doesn't have touristy things like gem mining, etc. Got tons of great restaurants, though.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 03:42
Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
North Carolina
4. Re: horseback riding, gem mining, and places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2017, 22:17