We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a beach?

Which Edenton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elida, Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
Is there a beach?

My daughter lives in Durham and has 2 female friends flying in from Spokane, WA to visit her. They would like to spend a week-end "at the beach," but finances are limited. I have searched high and low for an affordable ocean-front hotel for them, but everything is either booked or too expensive. For some reason, Edenton caught my eye on the map. I know it's not exactly a beach town, but from what I've read, the town looks delightful. They may really enjoy a B&B there, but is there a beach nearby? Thanks.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a beach?

Edenton is a town on the Albemarle Sound - it is 40-50 miles from the beach. The best one to drive to would be Nags Head. This is high season at the beaches - all rates are high until the fall.

Elida, Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a beach?

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps they would enjoy staying in Edenton, and driving to the outer banks for the day. Would Edenton be a place with enough interest to walk around, shop a little, and just enjoy the relaxed atmosphere?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a beach?

Maybe they could head down to Wilmington. Just over 2 hours from Durham and very close to the beach.

Elida, Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a beach?

Hi Beachlady! We went to Wilmington with her 2 weeks ago when we were helping her move in. She would like to go someplace different, and is also considering Morehead City. Have you been there? Looks like there may be more to do there than in the Wimington area. (We spent time mainly at Kura Beach) Thanks!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a beach?

Nope, sorry, never been to Morehead City. I'm sure you/they will find something to their liking!

We are heading to Kure Beach in two weeks! Never stayed in this particular area, but have spent many summers in Carolina Beach. (although its been 7 years since we have been there)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a beach?

My sister lives in Morehead City. Morehead and Beaufort are close and I think Beaufort has the more interesting shops, etc. I have been to visit her several times and we always go to Beaufort at least once. Emerald Isle is also close and we went there one afternoon.

NC
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a beach?

Atlantic Beach is across the intercostal waterway from Morehead City. You can try there or try Emerald Isle which is at the opposite end of the island. Swansboro is across the sound on the mainland where they can access Hammocks Beach state park via ferry. Emerald Isle Realty could be helpful in finding a reasonably priced accomodation.

ATR
Coastal NC
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a beach?

Nope, no beach. Edenton is a lovely historic small town on a sparkling bay overlooking the Albemarle Sound, with a gorgeous waterfront, quiet harbor, and much original colonial architecture. It's not a 'happ'nin' place, with the T-shirt shop-noisy-parrot-head-bar scene. What the town does have in abundance is charm. The natives are friendly and welcoming, there are intriguing little shops and galleries, a coffee shop with live entertainment on Friday nights, sailing excursions, and good-to-great food in several restaurants and bed-and-breakfasts. It's a wonderful low-key destination. The little weekly paper offers a list of activities- gallery openings, canoe trips and nature hikes in nearby swamps and wilderness, discussion groups, gardening seminars. All in all, I'm not sure Edenton would appeal to party-hearty 20-somethings, but if you're looking for beautiful serene scenery, wonderful walking tours through historic gardens and buildings, gracious citizenry, and a fine retreat from the hectic life and snarled traffic of more exciting venues, this is your destination for a weekend, or as we learned, much to our contentment, for a lifetime.

Get answers to your questions about Edenton
Recent Conversations