We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Which Emerald Isle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Well I've been reading through the posts and the many links for several hours today. Emerald Isle sounds very nice! I really like to snorkel from the beach looking for fish and whatever in the water, etc.

I googled for snorkeling on EI and found http://www.tourbeaufort.com/emeraldislenc.htm which mentions snorkeling, but the links don't once you click on them.

Any advice? We're coming in August.

Gallatin, MO
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

Try either:

crystalcoastnc.org/ThingsToDo/…

or

insiders.com/wilmington/main-watersports4.htm

charternet.com/diveboat/northcarolina.html

I've never been snorkeling. Sounds like something for us to try. If you find out any good information let me know. I don't think my wife would come near to doing it but my kids would LOVE it.

Michael

South Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

Well, I love snorkeling, but North Carolina beaches are not known for good snorkeling (as far as off the beach goes). The water has alot of silt and sand, it is definately not clear. I noticed you are from Ohio have you ever been to the coast of NC or SC? If so, then you know. If not, do not expect gulf or caribbean waters. Now, to just have fun and see what is around --go for it. Don't expect to have much visiblity though. Have fun though!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Thanks for the response. I have been to NC & SC. I like to use the snorkel to see some of those shells near the shore that others can't see. That works for me.

I'll get my "real" snorkeling time in the FL Keys this June. Can't wait.

Regardless, it's always nice to have my face in the water just to explore a bit!

Lower48
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

There is an interesting area off of Radio Island (near Beaufort - east of EI) where tropical fish hang out. There is an artificial reef near the southern end of the island. It's nothing spectacular, but you'll have a much greater chance of seeing some colorful fish there than out in the surf.

emeraldisle,nc
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

Hey,

There is a scuba Co. in Beaufort that might be able to direct you to good areas to snorkel. It is Discovery Diving Co...252 728 2265. North Carolina's Outer Banks are known for the many shipwrecks off the coast..it is the Graveyard of the Atlantic.

Good luck. THe N.C. Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores might be a good source also. 252 247 4003

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

I have enjoyed snorkeling in Bogue Sound in the pine Knoll Shores area but I would imagine the west end behind Emerald Isle would be the same. It is basically grass flats. No tropical fish but a lot going on. It's very shallow so i would suggest either side of high tide.

7. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:17