We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temp in early may

Which Emerald Isle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Temp in early may

We are thinking of returning to EI the last week of April/first week of May,2012. We love this area, how is the weather during this time? Is the ocean water somewhat warm or at least would we be able to swim. The home we are looking at has a hot tub & option to have the pool heated, but really want to be able to into the ocean. We are considering a return to EI as opposed to our trip we have scheduled for Jamaica. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temp in early may

Do you ever go to outdoor pools in the summer? You know how when the pools first open in the spring the water is really cold? And then it warms up over the course of the summer? The ocean is the same way. Cold in spring, warm in summer and into September. You can google for ocean temps or go to weather.com for monthly averages. Personally, I wouldn't swim in the ocean in early May, but I'm sure some people would. I prefer to go in July/Aug/Sept when the water is at it's warmest. June is okay, but I've been in early June before when the water temp and air temp was a little too cool for me.

west virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temp in early may

Thanks, we expected the water to be somewhat cool. We usually just stay in the ocean a little. So if it is too cool for us we can relax or go fishing! I guess based on what you are saying we will have the pool heated! Thanks again!

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temp in early may

If I were to guess, I would say the water will be about 68-70 at the end of April or beginning of May. That is just a guess. Some spring seasons are cooler and others warmer but I am usually in the ocean by early May (sometimes even late April).

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temp in early may

We go the last week of May or first week of June and the water temps are in the mid to upper 70s. End of April to ealy May probably in the 60s. Too cool for us but some folks don't mind those temps.

west virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temp in early may

Thanks so much for the info! We have Only visited EI in September, so we were unsure. Thanks for the info!!!!!!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temp in early may

Sept water temps are much, much warmer as it's had all summer to heat up.

7. Re: Temp in early may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 13:18